Dead Blow Hammer

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a cheap Menards 1 lbs. dead blow.
Was going to buy a US made one from Harry J Epstein but was thinking maybe a heavier one would be nice.
What size/weight do you guys use?

1lb
I also have 2 lead persuaders that are invaluable. A small one, probably 1 lb, and a larger 2-3 pound.

Does lead act differently than say brass, bronze or copper?

yes. No bounce. All the others will bounce a little.
I have a cheap deadblow. It's perfect as a deadblow. But when I need more force, the lead comes out. Lead won't do for everything and after a while it deforms. But If you need a heavier persuader than a 1lb, you MAY need a lead hammer.

I also use a lead hammer. And yes the lead will deform/smash up but no biggie. I just re-melt the thing and make new heads for it. Good as new and back to work…Dave

I use Lixie only. I have a 1" dead blow and a 1.5" dead blow. Hickory handle cast iron body, green and black composite heads, the body is filled with lead shot. The heads are replaceable, they have been making there hammers the same way since the 40's. I have had one of mine since 1982 the other since 1983. I also have my fathers from about 1955 and my grandfathers from about 1950. All look pretty much identical. I had to replace the handle on my fathers about 3 years ago, the others have had the heads replaced a couple of times over the years. For the most part these are buy once keep forever. I use the 150H and 100H, they weigh 30 ounces and 14 ounces.

Still made in the USA, central falls Rhode island.

31IAyfoCmqL.jpg

There are no doubt better ones out there, but the orange one at Harbor Freight are cheap and do the job just fine for all work that can accept a striking face of that width. They seem to be indestructible, at least in my hands. They are magnetic, so I assume the shot inside them is steel, but they do not bounce, at least not enough to matter. Some others, like the Lixie above, Armstrong, and others, are really nice quality tools, and some have smaller faces to attack smaller surfaces with, but are also a lot more expensive.

Anyone know where I can get a hand-less lead hammer? Just a round chunk of lead to hold in my fist to bump stock in the lathe to square it up? Ala ABomb79 style. About the size of a frozen orange juice container (it's been so long since I bought frozen orange juice I had to google it to make sure it still came in round containers :grin big:).

Back