Debrief - rotary table abort

Yuasa makes good ones and Vertex makes a clone of it. Might waste some heartbeats taking a look.

Thank you.. the safe assumption is it's a faithful clone so I have what I need on Yuasa. Appreciated.

Yes there is a lot of junk out there, be prepared at all times to call your credit card company and holler. Don't try to fix a piece of junk. Send it back at once. The heart you save may be your own
Mark

A lot of it and it is escalating. It can be faster to fix than to return at times but I think given the escalating third-world look of crap I buy thru Amazon and other sources, it's not a single fault.. each procurement represents the real probability of turning into a Macy's Parade of Faults.

In the interest of getting some useful information out of your rant, exactly what grease did you buy and from what source?
I like to keep reasonable assortment of lubricants on hand.

Some type of lubriplate gear lube. I'll get the exact label next time I'm in my shop. It's made in three consistencies and I was able to get the firmest stuff. That stuff is going NO where.. it was not pure joy to work with it. If I came across the middle grade, I'd be highly motivated to try that. It also met the spec but it was not available in reasonably priced volumes.

C'mon, CW, tell us how you REALLY feel about it. Without wasting any more heartbeats, of course. ;)

I'm not sure since I sorta got overwhelmed with emotion while wading through all that, but I think you trashed a South Bend RT from Grizzly. Right? If so, that's discouraging because I've had my eye on a Grizzly 5" RT with more accessories than the law allows. Was just waiting for a need for it.

Tom

It was not the SB-branded RT. But had I purchased that instead, I am quite sure my conclusions about the design/build of the product would have been identical (I'm convinced they did not make it themselves) with the exception that Grizzly technical support and productization (the work and communication that offers and fulfills th product) is extraordinary. I *want* to do more business with companies/cultures exactly like theirs. I kept their tail stock which I clearly don't need now just out of respect for their good work and good attitude. There are two companies in this space I can recommend without the slightest hesitation... PM and Grizzly. I think you'll be pleased but investigate whether you will need to be repairing the threads on the worm before you commit. THAT is why I have not gone ahead with purchasing from them. Something where I've seen good reviews and talked to two very happy people in person is the 7506 table.. it's 1" larger... it's pricey... and I have the impression you cannot fit dividing plates to it but that is not said with any confidence in it. FYI.

In the interest of getting some useful information out of your rant, exactly what grease did you buy and from what source?
I like to keep reasonable assortment of lubricants on hand.

JetLube makes an open gear grease called OG-H available in a tube. I use it on the rack and gears of the lathe.

In a simple sentence can you tell us what brand name RT your unhappy with.
Thanks

Clock: If it's any consolation I too find it very hard to buy anything new these days. I'd say a good 50% of things I purchase end up going back (except beer and pizza)
That's why I just bought a 55 year old Altas 12" lathe, and I'm just pleased as punch with that old thing.
Mark
DSCN0266.JPGDSCN0325.JPG

Back