[4]

Decent R8 drill chuck for mini-mill?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

PHPaul

Registered
The chuck that came with my used mill is...uh..."less than optimal". That sounds better than execrable, right?

The key doesn't fit worth a hoot and so far it's been impossible to get the jaws truly tight. I was taught to snug it up and then go around to all the key holes (three in this case) and tighten it in steps. I can do this until the cows come home and all it takes is a dirty look for it to come loose.

I'd like to upgrade to a better chuck without breaking the bank. Let's call the upper end of the budget $100.

Any suggestions?

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Better to get a chuck with a straight shank (say ½") instead of R-8. That way you can use the same collet for the chuck and the tool. It will also give you more vertical clearance to make changing out the chuck easier. I have both styles and almost never use the R-8 shank.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I to say straight shank and collet , buy a used Jacob 14n super chuck , about $50 if need be clean it and lube is about all they need. Parts kits can be had too. And you still would be under a $100. Just my favorite chucks ball bearing smooth . Albrecht chuck plan on a hundred used but real good also. Just don't use a larger drill then they max at , they'll self tighten and be a bugger to loosen.

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
QMT has some chucks on there web site that I think I read are pretty decent also.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Randc seller on eBay has a nice 14n with 5/8 straight arbor no bids start at $6.99 with $9.00 ship. , good dealer on there too. 5 days left on bidding

mksj

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
If you need accuracy, then I prefer an integrated chuck an arbor, with a collet you are compounding the run out. I several different integrated chucks, some keyed and some keyless. The issue with the keyless over tightening seems to be a problem with some chucks others I have not had any issues with on both my knee mill and lathe. I had a Glacern and did have problems with over tightening, but no issues with the Shar's above or the Z-Live which is similar. The Shar's is a bit nicer. These are both what is called CNC precision chucks. They are only for right hand turning. You can pick-up and older used Jacobs 14N super chuck and get an R8 arbor, but these can be good or bad, and the prices are just going up. The newer Jacob's chucks I have not really heard anything positive about them. My go to integrated R8 chucks are Llambrich which work great but beyond the budget. I would look at the Shar's otherwise a used Jacobs 14N and get a R8 arbor.

http://zlivecenter.com/drill-chuck-and-arbor-adapter/drill-chuck/09905BR813

PHPaul

Registered
Thanks all, that gives me some options to look at.

coffmajt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Just keep in mind that if you are power tapping with a chuck it should be a key type, because the Albrecht will loosen when reversed to back out of the hole. I use both types and prefer the Albrecht for drilling and reaming == Jack

[6]
[5] [7]