Deciding Between Bison & TMX 6-jaw chuck

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Please help me decide on which brand, and let me know if I missing anything.

I currently own a few Bison & TMX chucks; I love them all. I am a little partial to TMX because the chucks are usually drop shipped directly from TMX in MA. As far as I know, Bison products *may be* drop shipped directly from OH.

The reason that I would like drop shipping is so that I don’t get somebody else’s problem/return/scratch & dent.

Anyway, I am either going to get a TMX 6-jaw chuck with a TMX adapter *or* a Bison 6-jaw chuck with a Bison adapter.

They are both the same diameter at 12” (bigger is better!). Weight is not a problem (I have a tool post crane). I need maximum gripping diameter. Price is less of a concern than, say, quality & specs.

Here is the TMX lineup:

and

To be continued…

Last edited:
Here is one side by side.

TMX:

D1E2A349-5EA1-48ED-B350-856E2743A7B3.png

Bison:

B65A998E-EA9B-4F17-A1F0-64A898755111.png

Here is another side by side:

TMX:

6CA0B30C-140E-4FA0-B31F-A545549E1D7D.jpeg

35BA1C28-2AA6-486B-91B0-11A6C930E63E.png

I will be using this chuck mostly for making pipe welding coupons, and it is most efficient to maximize the diameter & thickness of the pipe (more room for welding deposit).

That is, a 1” Schedule 40 pipe welding coupon doesn’t take too long to use, but a 10 or 12 inch pipe welding coupon will keep a guy (or gal!) busy for awhile.

If you're going with that much money on a 6 jaw, why not go for an SCA chuck? Probably one of the finest chucks made anywhere (SCA is made in Sweden), here is a new one on eBay. SCA chucks are on par with other top tier chucks like Pratt Burnerd and Rohm and I would definitely consider one.

If you're going with that much money on a 6 jaw, why not go for an SCA chuck? Probably one of the finest chucks made anywhere (SCA is made in Sweden), here is a new one on eBay. SCA chucks are on par with other top tier chucks like Pratt Burnerd and Rohm and I would definitely consider one.

Thanks, I checked it out. I can’t believe how many chucks that eBay seller has listed!

The 12” SCA chuck is a plain back. I could not find a D1-6 adapter on Google.

Last edited:
Back