Deciding Between Bison & TMX 6-jaw chuck

@mksj

I Googled “Bison combination chuck”, and I found something that said:

“Combine the advantages of a scroll chuck with those of an independent chuck”.

I will Google now how that would work.

I am going to guess a 4J scroll chuck that is Set-Tru.

Edit: My guess was wrong.

Here it is:

It has a scroll + you can adjust each jaw individually.

Last edited:
The combination chuck is a bit of a strange duck for production type work, but they are more of a fusion of a scroll and a 4J independent. The scroll moves 4 bases for the jaws and then each jaw has an adjustment like an independent chuck. The scroll repeats to about 0.001", the independent allows a wide range of adjustment, and is great if you do odd shape size work or rectangular stock that I was doing the other day. It is very quick to change stock and dial down the TIR, and you do not have big knarly jaws like on 2 piece jaws. A set-true style will repeat a bit better, but is only designed for a very limited adjustment range (Like +/- 0.005") and is more a set and forget process. They take up extra depth and they are heavy, but they take a more standard back plate which is less expensive.

20211226_133618.jpg

Thanks, I checked it out. I can’t believe how many chucks that eBay seller has listed!

The 12” SCA chuck is a plain back. I could not find a D1-6 adapter on Google.
I’ve bought from them before, definitely a legit operation.

John

Sounds like the OP needs the six jaw but for those considering a combo 4 jaw, as Mark says, they are heavy and deep so the stock is held far from the spindle bearings. You generally don't want to size those chucks at maximum swing as they are harder on the machine and the braking and clutch systems. Dave

Look at the weights as well. When I was looking at the 6 inch chucks, the Bison weighed 23lbs and the TMX is 29lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the weights as well. When I was looking at the 6 inch chucks, the Bison weighed 23lbs and the TMX is 29lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is a higher weight better?

I do not see that weight would make one better than another, just easier to lift and get on the lathe. If you are only going to use the chuck infrequently, then you might consider a less expensive alternative and/or a 10" six jaw chuck. You will be limited with a 12" chuck as to the opening distance of the jaws, and may need to remove the gap, the through hole capacity is limited more by the D1-6 mount/spindle bore.

A 12" Bison/TMX 6J is going to run you over 3K with back plate. A 10" Bison/TMX 6J would be about 1K less, and going with something like the Shar's 10" 6J Set-tru would be 2K less. I recall a few other individuals that bought the new higher end Shar's 6J and they were very satisfied with it performance and accuracy. You can review the specs. below they have them in 10" and 12", they are semi-steel so the max RPM will be slightly lower, but if you are doing larger diameter work you would be nowhere near the maximum speed ratings. They are Set-Tru style so the TIR can be adjusted withing 0.0005", and more often the issue is clamping with 6J the diameter of the work piece will be out out of round more than that.

Somewhat in ascending cost, they will all hold stock pretty much the same. Bison 12.5" with back plate will be about $500 more than the TMX. Just would be a hard swallow spending so much on chuck, unless it was your primary chuck for the type of work you do. A 12.5" chuck on a 16" swing is a bit too big, and only advantage would be the chuck through holes is just over 3" vs. ~2.9" and you are still limited by the D1-6 back plate/spindle bore. I just picked the eBay sites, on Shar's often shipping is less through eBay, otherwise I would go directly to Small Tools or Ajax Ind.
Shar's 10" 6 Jaw SET-TRU Lathe Chuck .0005" with Fine Adjustment

10" Bison 6 Jaw "Set Tru" Lathe Chuck + Adapter Plate

12-1/2" GATOR Lathe Chuck 6 Jaw TRU ADJUSTABLE FORGED +ADAPTER 1-103-1200

Toolmex 12" Set Tru 6 jaw Lathe Chuck Made In Poland

I do not see that weight would make one better than another, just easier to lift and get on the lathe. If you are only going to use the chuck infrequently, then you might consider a less expensive alternative and/or a 10" six jaw chuck. You will be limited with a 12" chuck as to the opening distance of the jaws, and may need to remove the gap, the through hole capacity is limited more by the D1-6 mount/spindle bore.

A 12" Bison/TMX 6J is going to run you over 3K with back plate. A 10" Bison/TMX 6J would be about 1K less, and going with something like the Shar's 10" 6J Set-tru would be 2K less. I recall a few other individuals that bought the new higher end Shar's 6J and they were very satisfied with it performance and accuracy. You can review the specs. below they have them in 10" and 12", they are semi-steel so the max RPM will be slightly lower, but if you are doing larger diameter work you would be nowhere near the maximum speed ratings. They are Set-Tru style so the TIR can be adjusted withing 0.0005", and more often the issue is clamping with 6J the diameter of the work piece will be out out of round more than that.

Somewhat in ascending cost, they will all hold stock pretty much the same. Bison 12.5" with back plate will be about $500 more than the TMX. Just would be a hard swallow spending so much on chuck, unless it was your primary chuck for the type of work you do. A 12.5" chuck on a 16" swing is a bit too big, and only advantage would be the chuck through holes is just over 3" vs. ~2.9" and you are still limited by the D1-6 back plate/spindle bore. I just picked the eBay sites, on Shar's often shipping is less through eBay, otherwise I would go directly to Small Tools or Ajax Ind.
Shar's 10" 6 Jaw SET-TRU Lathe Chuck .0005" with Fine Adjustment

10" Bison 6 Jaw "Set Tru" Lathe Chuck + Adapter Plate

12-1/2" GATOR Lathe Chuck 6 Jaw TRU ADJUSTABLE FORGED +ADAPTER 1-103-1200

Toolmex 12" Set Tru 6 jaw Lathe Chuck Made In Poland

Thanks for all the info, Mark! I am still shying away from mainland Chinese stuff, at least with welding & machining equipment.

I am getting closer to this purchase. Hopefully I will be pulling the trigger in February. I have some time off in March so it would be nice to spend some quality time with the new 6J.

I ended up buying the TMX chuck & TMX adapter.

I have been checking on the internet every few days to see if there were any deals, and today I saw the chuck on eBay for $455.00 less than any price I had ever seen before. I jumped on it!

Sadly, there were no deals to be found on the adapter. Small Tools had the best price by far, & they did not charge me sales tax.

33057677-BB68-4AE2-83C5-293CC4F2A26A.png

C4652C0E-717E-40DB-A97E-D5E55A8AF521.png

3EC30C7D-A9E2-4F2B-9DAC-4FF1A909C8EB.png

Back