Deciding On A Lathe...

I don't suggest an hobbyist just getting into the machining trade to go out and buy "industrial" quality machines just because somebody said to do so. Get your feet wet first with a smaller lathe, then take the plunge for a industrial quality machine if you see fit. You may find the hobby type of machines to be perfect for what you want it for.

AS for horse power, you can always change out motors if you feel more horse power is needed. As a novist, starting out in the trade, you don't need a lathe with a 3 HP motor! Stick with a smaller lathe like the one listed above in the Craig's list ad, with a fractional HP motors!

Opinions are opinions of course, but then there's facts. I'll put me and my 'import' 1340GT (Taiwan) up against any domestic lathe of similar size and weight. Sheesh...

Here's another lathe posted, it maybe closer to what I'm looking for. I'm skeptical about getting a used import model that Grizzly isn't making anymore. I may not be able to get parts for an older model import...

Grizzly G4016 13.5 x 40 Gear head Lathe - $2500 (Corinth MS)
http://northmiss.craigslist.org/tls/5281314462.html

I don't suggest an hobbyist just getting into the machining trade to go out and buy "industrial" quality machines just because somebody said to do so. Get your feet wet first with a smaller lathe, then take the plunge for a industrial quality machine if you see fit. You may find the hobby type of machines to be perfect for what you want it for.

As for horse power, you can always change out motors if you feel more horse power is needed. As a novist, starting out in the trade, you don't need a lathe with a 3 HP motor! Stick with a smaller lathe like the one listed above in the Craig's list ad, with a fractional HP motors!

No offence, but why would you bother with a small hobby machine with low horsepower that may need to be upgraded or have the motor replaced - given what his requirements are? His main hobby is cars, not repairing or upgrading machines. Also, the recommendation to get an industrial machine is based on the heavier work he would likely be doing in making car parts that tend to be heavier and larger that are often made from cast or steel. Also, a crash on an industrial machine is usually less catastrophic since you have clutches and better quality materials. I have seen many scrap hobby machines that have been crashed, but very few industrial machines, even those that came from schools.

Also, how on earth can you get a 1/4 HP machine to cut as aggresively as a 3 HP? Maybe I am missing something here but there is a reason why workshops use machines that have higher HP ratings. When making larger parts, there is usually a need for more material removal and with a small motor you will be standing there for far longer than with a bigger, beefier machine. This is not my opinion, this is a fact that is demonstarted in machine shops all over the world. When I changed from a 3/4 HP Emco to my 3 HP Colchester, the difference was night and day and I shaved hours off bigger jobs.

At the end of the day the choice is his. If he enjoys standing at a lathe for hours shaving small amounts of metal at each pass, or upgrading and tinkering with the lathe rather than working on his cars, that is his call. All I know is that those who started with small hobby machines usually ended up upgrading to bigger machines and not looking back, myself included.

Paul.

I say get the biggest lathe you have room for, and can afford. You can make small parts on a big lathe. But small lathes can't make big parts. If my shop floor would hold it I would have at least a 14x40 with at least a 2" spindle bore. I have a 12x36 Atlas craftsman lathe. And it isn't big enough for a phew things needed to do.
While this is technically true it is not always practical to try do small stuff on a big lathe.

Big chucks can only close so far so for really small work you battle.

Also for small work you need high RPM.
A mini lathe running at 2400 rpm is a lot less intimidating than a 12x running at the same speed (assuming you can find one that runs that fast).

While a bigger lathe is always desirable, if the bulk of the work you are going to be doing is small them rather look at a smaller lathe.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Here's another lathe posted, it maybe closer to what I'm looking for. I'm skeptical about getting a used import model that Grizzly isn't making anymore. I may not be able to get parts for an older model import...

Grizzly G4016 13.5 x 40 Gear head Lathe - $2500 (Corinth MS)
http://northmiss.craigslist.org/tls/5281314462.html

What spares are you expecting to need? Usually things like bearings, gears and leadscrews are standard so I wouldn't let that put you off. That machine looks pretty good and should do what you need. I know some guys who are into rodding here in Norway and these type of machines are popular. I prefer more power but 2 HP is nothing to sneeze at. 2100 RPM is good for smaller stuff too. It looks like spares are available for this machine and after a bath it should look pretty good:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/13-1-2-x-40-Gear-Head-Lathe-w-Stand/G4016

Gunsmiths and small workshops use this machine and it would be on the serious end of the hobby market or the lower end of a small job shop. I don't know what the going price is for used machines in the USA but if it checks out mechanically and is not worn too much, this type of machine should put a smile on your face.

Paul.

Yeah, I've been scratching my head on the Grizzly... Still thinking about it.

Here's a guy downsizing his shop. He has a Rockwell 15"x42", a small Bridgeport, tooling, and a phase converter.
http://tricities.craigslist.org/tls/5275269860.html

I found some information on the Rockwell here.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta metal/page3.html

Nothing wrong with the Rockwell lathe. I bought one recently. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet, but so far a decent lathe.
And that one for the price he wants for it plus tooling, not a bad deal! Go for it if that's what you want. Just remember, you can't get repair parts for it. Have to make any replacement parts when the time comes.

Yeah, I've been scratching my head on the Grizzly... Still thinking about it.

Here's a guy downsizing his shop. He has a Rockwell 15"x42", a small Bridgeport, tooling, and a phase converter.
http://tricities.craigslist.org/tls/5275269860.html

I found some information on the Rockwell here.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta metal/page3.html

I don't know what the rpm range or HP is for that machine but it looks like a substancial machine. for 4k you could have a a mill and lathe - not bad when I consider I paid that for my mill on it's own. The lathe's specs are as follows:
  • 230V/3PH/60HZ
  • S/N: 1368221
  • Belt Driven
  • Swing over bed and saddle wings: 14-1/4"
  • Swing over cross slide: 9-1/8"
  • Distance between centers: 41"
  • Hole through spindle: 1-3/8"
  • Maximum collet capacity: 1-1/16"
  • Spindle speeds: 40 - 1750 RPM, variable
  • Threading: 4 - 224 TPI (54)
  • Longitudinal feeds: .0017" to .099" ( 54)
  • Cross feeds: .00089" - .052" (54)
  • Headstock/Tailstock centers: # 3 MT
  • Spindle nose: L-00
  • Cross slide travel: 8"
  • Compound slide travel: 4-3/4"
  • Motor: 2 HP
  • Overall dimensions: 86" x 25" x 48" high
  • Estimated weight: 1950 lbs
Not bad for the price. Outside the USA an L-00 spindle would be a deal breaker but you will be able to find chucks and accessories. The weight makes it a stable machine. If it's in good shape I would go for it. This is a lot of machine for the money and having taper turning is a bonus for doing those odd jobs.

Paul.

While this is technically true it is not always practical to try do small stuff on a big lathe.

Big chucks can only close so far so for really small work you battle.

Also for small work you need high RPM.
A mini lathe running at 2400 rpm is a lot less intimidating than a 12x running at the same speed (assuming you can find one that runs that fast).

While a bigger lathe is always desirable, if the bulk of the work you are going to be doing is small them rather look at a smaller lathe.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Put an er40 or 5C collet chuck on a 14x40 small parts is a breeze. With that said if ones interest is small scale models or clock work then A small lathe is the way to go. If the interest is in hot rods , motorcycle, or gunsmith then 14x40 is the best choice. My 12" will do 2400rpm as well as the 14x40 I use at work. At those speeds I am using collets.

Back