Decision support on an indexing rotary capability

And I'd love to tell you.. but until I get thru the orientation videos on this new "rating" I now have to drag around indefinitely, I'd best hold off.
Lucky for me, I am simply dragging around the rating of "pretty smart, for a REDNECK". I am good with that, and shall remain so. I will stick to blonde jokes, and some sarcasm generally not appreciated by the crowd I run with.
I am a man of a thousand cliches, and here is another one-
Sure, sarcasm may be the LOWEST form of wit, but its all I got!:grin:

Smart rednecks are the ones that will rebuild after the apocalypse, and howl in laughter over their beer remembering all the idiot yuppies they had to bury:) More fun to hang out with too.

CW

I finally got around to repairing the threads that that STUPID design destroyed. Three hours wearing the Palomar lens on my head 1.2" from the worm shaft filing the two ridiculous craters (in the THREADS on the most important part in the machine), and then fixing the threads on the ring that got screwed over moving it off the two craters.

Hey Vertex... pay attention here... NO CUSTOMER (i.e. YOUR god) wants to waste his first hours of his relationship with your product fixing something you broke and for which you have zero excuses. Seriously... I'll look long and hard about ever considering a single thing you make or saying even the most mild positive comment. You NEVER EVER let garbage like that out the door..... EVER. Ask me how I know... please. And write a proper GD manual while you're at it. Thanks for sucking the joy I could have had with this thing all the way out of it. End Message to Vertex/Taiwan

AND NOW, you are going to make me take back everything I ever said about you? :grin:

You won't be close to the first:) Maybe it shows but I take business the way the Dali Lama takes spirituality and I reached my snapping point about lazy customer-hostile business years ago... the customer experience and the level of delivered quality will always manage to plummet as long as there is no consequence for talking haircuts to push for their promotions on the backs of customer-hostile product and service decisions. Make every inexcusable (the perfect adjective here) act of customer hostility hurt. Cause/effect. Hot stoves teach about heat. Ignoring the inexcusable condones it just like failure to bomb a weed in your lawn with the right chemistry only brings more. There is no stasis... you're either killing the enemy or they're killing you. And yes, the other side of this is when someone does something above and beyond, slather them in praise and if you search, I've done that for Matt at PM and that was not unique for me. More people need to be handing both out pain and praise to arrest the fall and encourage a rise. If someone had anything close to a public (or otherwise) comment as I just made about about Vertex about my company it'd be made right fast and if it was slacker behavior in one of my guys, it'd be instant good bye... and it would still embarrass me every time I remembered it. Taking into account the effect it might have on them if the right guy saw it, it was actually Vertex-positive. Business, and cause/effect, matter. You have to respect both. For business, it's not about money... it's about how you do it.

I hate to lose your admiration so quickly, but I know in my heart you were SO wrong about me.. e.g., it was pointed out in email yesterday I lead my division in penalties the last year I played junior:) [HEAR the pride in me saying that:]

CW
The worst guy in Greenland:)

I am a simple man. It seems to me, that the "walmart" mentality has created a business climate or model that will be nearly impossible to change.
By that, I mean- there are more people in this country looking for "a good deal", than there are people willing to pay more for a quality product.
Supply and Demand will rule, and those of us looking for quality gear are forced to seek old stuff, from a different era.
Yet another example of our declining society, and a "low voltage" one, at that. Sorry, rant over. Off to the yard sales tomorrow! Not to seek bargains! Oh no. I seek to pay fairly for examples of products of a different era. Or just see some. It is therapy, really.

I am a simple man. It seems to me, that the "walmart" mentality has created a business climate or model that will be nearly impossible to change.
By that, I mean- there are more people in this country looking for "a good deal", than there are people willing to pay more for a quality product.
Supply and Demand will rule, and those of us looking for quality gear are forced to seek old stuff, from a different era.
Yet another example of our declining society, and a "low voltage" one, at that. Sorry, rant over. Off to the yard sales tomorrow! Not to seek bargains! Oh no. I seek to pay fairly for examples of products of a different era. Or just see some. It is therapy, really.

Good rant. It's nice to know I hang out in the company of smart guys. And when you add time in, the new arrivals in the market don't know any better as all they can see are the "value conscious" all around them and their own "more important than sex" drive toward paying the least takes it down another level. The brilliant high quality products rolled out for the "early adopters" and "innovators" (cf the term diffusion of innovation) are ultimately noticed by the laggards (the other end) and the march to the bottom begins. Along the way innovation is discarded (bottom feeders don't need no stinking innovation)... the early adopters/innovators... the guys whose $$ literally built the market in the first place are left behind having to settle for, as you say, Walmart crap.. or as came up yesterday, Pep Boys "dirt bikes". PURE crap... almost single-use.

For a long time I blamed exclusively the demand side of the market for this... people demanding cheap (crap). In my own industry, I saw the high quality providers attempt to resist the need to get rid of the smart guys to get the cost down to meet the market. But ultimately, the second factor kicked in... the cubicle meat at the big companies learned the one single "skill" you can attribute to big company cubicle meat... they accelerate the race to the bottom far beyond the market forces and actually spin the garbage they're making as in the best interest of the customer. Right. Their need for a promotion/points outstrips what's best for the customer and ultimately their company. The good part is that if you're a mutant and want to operate your own small company, bust hump 100hr/wk, you can smoke big company cubicle meat all day/everyday and twice on Casual Fridays if you're even slightly smart. Kill to eat always murders show up to eat.

There's an interesting principle called The Lindy Effect that frankly is the core of my product acquisition life the last 20 years. The LE is that a good prediction for how long a product that's in service or offered for sale is... as long as it's been in service or offered for sale already. Take an M1 or a 1911 over some gee-whiz brimming with the latest technology (designed by some 20-something) owner-recognizing next-generation gun every day. My truck (2005 Lex) has like 18 computers in it. Unlike most, I see a positive impact on quality of some carefully applied technology but I know how to compute system MTBF in my sleep and would not consider even a free current model year version of that t ruck as it has something like 250+ computers in it (and UTTERLY pointless functionality too). The Lindy Effect and respect for older better made better designed things has been serving me well for 20+ years. (Would KILL for a Checker Marathon and/or a 73 Husky 360 RT).

CW

Back