Decisions-- mill lathe combo or separate units.....help with your thought

Truefire -- set your Craigslist to search northern and central New Jersey; it's not too far from you for this project and there was a huge amount of small industry there, so good machines turn up with some regularity. And, to follow an earlier responder's point, this newbie moved a 500+ lb Logan 820 and a couple hundred pounds of tools that came with it into an 11x11 Greenwich Village apartment bedroom one evening, disassembled into components and reassembled there. I can barely get back far enough to take a good picture of the whole thing, but it works like a charm in that space and co-exists nicely with everything else going on.

Tim

John-- thank you. Noted and saved. Great tidbit regarding 'tooling'....well received. Like a nice hunting rifle...it's only half as good as the quality of scope mounted on it. Plus, I already understand from searching out parts and components that I could easily drain an account quick trying to line all of that up. I'll be on the lookout.

Tim-- great info. Thanks for the help. I will definitely do that. Appreciate it my friend.

Truefire, As others have mentioned, there are other brands worth considering besides Atlas. I'm biased, (because I own one), but Logan's are a good choice because they were well made, but also because new parts are available and eBay is full of parts as well. But really, what you want is a lathe in the best possible condition
given your budget IF you decide to buy an older machine. If you limit yourself to one brand, it will make it harder to find the right lathe.

Back