Deckel FP1 dividing head and punch milling accesories

I would appreciate your opinion regarding a doubt I have : can be that the locking clamp of the spindle is clogged and therefore it is not releasing the main spindle shaft ? this locking device is locaded just in the back of the front mandrel and is normally securd in position by the locking screw, I suppose this screw is closing two half circular arms which lock the spindle shaft in position. Do you remember how these arms are done and how they engage the main spindle shaft ? I wonder if they are perhaps blocked in a sort of groove realised in the shaft, which perhaps is full of dirt.
I am thinking to heat the body of the dividing head, to see if I can have a small movement due to thermal expansion of the pieces. Do you think could be a viable trial ?

Thanks again,

Mauro

@pitton When it is really bad, we submurge the entier unit in kerosene or diesle fuel, and several times a day, give it a light rap or 2 with a plastic hammer. The vibrations help with the penetration, and the petroleum will seep far deeper into the unit. Of course you have to keep it covered, and away from sources of ignition.

I would appreciate your opinion regarding a doubt I have : can be that the locking clamp of the spindle is clogged and therefore it is not releasing the main spindle shaft ? this locking device is locaded just in the back of the front mandrel and is normally securd in position by the locking screw, I suppose this screw is closing two half circular arms which lock the spindle shaft in position. Do you remember how these arms are done and how they engage the main spindle shaft ? I wonder if they are perhaps blocked in a sort of groove realised in the shaft, which perhaps is full of dirt.
I am thinking to heat the body of the dividing head, to see if I can have a small movement due to thermal expansion of the pieces. Do you think could be a viable trial ?

Thanks again,

Mauro
Unfortunately I can't remember how these parts looked during disassembly.

I unscrewed the handle for the locking mechanism right now and tried to pull the locking mechanism out by hand (while the spindle is still assembled, of course), but I couldn't. So I also believe the mechanism is made out of two half-circular parts.

The disassembly of the spindle should be possible without removing the locking mechanism first.

So lets go one step back... when you engage the worm wheel, can you rotate the spindle with the crank handle? When you disengage the worm wheel, can you rotate the spindle by hand, grabbing it i.e. at the spindle threads or is it not moving?

Do you maybe have some pictures of your partly disassembled dividing head?

Last edited:
@pitton When it is really bad, we submurge the entier unit in kerosene or diesle fuel, and several times a day, give it a light rap or 2 with a plastic hammer. The vibrations help with the penetration, and the petroleum will seep far deeper into the unit. Of course you have to keep it covered, and away from sources of ignition.
Dear Dabbler, many thanks for your advice. The first attempt I did was to keep the dividing head completely immersed in the diesel fuel, but without hammering the body. I left it in the diesel fuel for about 15 days, but with no significant improvement.
I will try again, hammering the unit, to facilitate the penetration of the diesel fuel. cross fingers !

Many thanks,

Back