Deckel FP1 DRO Scale Size

Degull

Registered
Registered
I am planning to install a Easson ES-17, 3 axis DRO on my FP1. I have never installed a DRO on anything. The scales included with the kit are glass and I am not sure that I can cut them if they are too big. I would prefer to by a Newall magnetic system but I can’t afford it right now.

I measured the travel on my FP1. Up/down is 340mm, in/out is 150mm but my left right is 345mm?? I thought my left/right was supposed to be 300mm?
Should the scales be as close as possible to my travel or should I go a little bigger?
I plan on machining all the brackets myself and aiming for a clean install. It looks like the left/right axis is going to be a pain but I have seen enough example pictures that I believe I can accomplish the install.
Anyone has installed a DRO on their FP1 like to chime in, I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

You must go at least slightly longer or you run the risk of running out of room on one side from a minor error. The scales must allow freedom of movement to both ends of the travel or you will break the scale when it eventually gets impacted. There is little downside to specifying longer scales other than running out of room on the machine for the scale end caps to mount. I would add at least one inch to the travel when specifying "travel length." Make sure what length the seller wants, it is usually travel length, not overall length or anything else. Good for you for measuring it! Using machine specs from a brochure is a very poor idea. Things change, people lie, mistakes are made. Do it yourself, carefully!

You should be able to cut them using a dremel setup with a diamond abrasive cutting disk.

You can buy an Eason DRO and use magnetic scales that can be cut to size. I have an Easson 12B, I am using the glass scales on 2 of the axis and a SRA magnetic scale for the tailstock. I have heard of people cutting the glass scales, but it is a bit tricky to do. My only gripe of the SRA magnetic scales is they do not provide end caps on the scales, but they do provide a beefy back support. The magnetic head is also quite small. These magnetic scales do work with the Easson DRO (and probably other DRO's), I checked with SRA and also checked mine yesterday. A bit more pricey, but still less than the Newall is the EL700 with magnetic scales, I use this DRO on my mill and it is very nice.

You can buy the 12B DRO head unit direct from China for less, but the model displayed is the older version with a separate power supply. Current production ES-12B/C have the power supply built into the head unit as opposed to the separate power supply. Also the DRO packages from China, I would check if they are shipped with Easson glass scales or some generic brand.

I would spend the extra money on the Easson 12C but my mill lives in the garage and the temperatures dip below -20C (-4F) in the winter. I’m afraid the LCD won’t work well in the cold.
Great news that the magnetic scales work with Easson display.

Back