Deckel FP1

Sblack

Registered
Registered
I just purchased an FP1 on an on-line auction. I did it sight unseen. I promised myself a few yrs ago that I would never do that again, but these things are rare as hen's teeth and it is not that far away and well, I'm, weak what can I say.

Can anyone tell me the best way to sling one of these? I was thinking wrapping a strap around the horizontal ram at the top, but that would put the whole weight of the machine on the dovetail. That seems like a bad idea. What is the proper way to lift one? Perhaps there is something in the manual, which I don't have. Anyone know of an on-line source for the manual (free)? Also, what does it weigh?

thanks

ok I found a diagram for slinging on that other site, the less friendly one :). Seems there is a hole in the base for a 25mm rod that you wrap the straps around. Some other good info there too. Still don't know if this thing uses MT4 or Deckel collets. I guess I will find out this week - it is 1.5 hrs away. Always an adventure with a new machine.

Deckel Transport.jpg

Weakness, yeah, I understand weakness. An FP-1 would make me weak, too! Congrats!

When you get it home we are going to need to see some pics.
Congratulations,

Hi Sblack,

That is a very nice machine ! Lucky you.

It was an interesting trip. I got it from Ontario Drive and Gear. They make drive trains for kubota and john deere amonst others. They showed me a 3000 ton forging press squashing billets into drive shafts. They make a lot of gears, bevel, helical, hardened and ground, they have their own heat treating shop. Very impressive and they took a lot of pride in their work. Could have easily spent the day there. They were selling it, an FP3 and a lot of hobbers and other gizmos that were not familiar to me as surplus to their requirements. Oh ya, the machine...well it is old and used, but the slides all move very smoothly. It is 550 3 phase but I will just swap the motor put and get rid of the hige junction box thing. Unfortunately I did not get the horizontal overarm support. I did ask the guy if there was a shelf full of tooling and he said he would look once they got all the auction stock cleared out. So I think tnis machine has been use and maintained by pros, but then it sat in an unheated shed. Some mild surface rust. I paid $1000 plus the usual auction fees and raxes. I am happy with my purchase. Anybody know what thread the mt4 drawbars are? I suspect they could be metric rather than 1/2 x 11. They don't come out readily. Anyway,I will figure that out.

It was nice having Kyle, a millwrite, help me load it. Those guys have practical skills. He reminded me to lock all the gibs. At 750 lbs, it is always a bit nerve wracking to see something like that in the rearview mirror. But the straps all help well and nobody slammed their brakes on in front of me. I've done this a few times now. Getting the hang of it. :cool::cool:

You have a great mill there. I hope they find the support.

this overarm support casting is on ebay. Does anyone know if it will fit the FP1? are the FP1 and 2 overarm supports interchangeable? I just don't have any background with these machines. I bet there is a German forum out there where the guys know every part number and trick in the book on these - they must have a devote following. Might have to tap into that and get some help from a German speaking friend. There is also the other casting that has the bushing for the outer end of the arbor that dovetails on to this one but it is for an FP2. Are they interchangeable? 982935627_tp.jpg982935630_tp.jpg982935647_tp.jpg

Back