Dedicated shop space for basement ideas

Christianstark

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi all,

Patiently waiting for my lathe and mill to come, and I am thinking about what to do in my shop space. It is currently a finished carpet over slab office space, sized 11' x 9.5'.

I know it's not ideal size wise, and I do have another space that is more rustic for "dirty" work like grinding, welding, etc. I am looking to fit the room with a PM 833TV mill, and a PM 1340GT lathe. it is currently open to my finished basement/home theater, so I will be adding a door to separate the areas. IF I find I have issues with smoke from cutting fluids, etc, I do have the capability to tap into an old and unused duct that leads to my crawl space for an inline evacuation fan.

Currently the walls in this room are old wood paneling nailed to framing studs, painted. Il like to potentially cover those with another layer of something I might be able to use as a whole room witheboaad to make splashes of fluids more easily cleaned from walls, and also use the walls for notes, sketches, etc while working on projects. Has anyone done walls in whiteboard paint, or whiteboard type paneling?

Second, The floor is currently covered in carpet and padding, but I am looking to remove that from the area. Is there any suggestions on a pourable leveling compound that is durable and won't chip? Thinking some kind of pourable epoxy compound that won't chip up, and provides an easily cleanable surface?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing some ideas on this. I do have future plans to relocate my entire metal shop to my workshop area, but I need to do some extensive work to open it up, water proof it, extend power to it, and pour a new floor. Knowing this, I would like to keep the project cost to a minimum.

Here are some pics.

This is my current "office". I think I can easily fit the 2 machines in here. Priorities here would be leveling the floor with some kind of smooth surface that would repel oils and other fluids, a door at the entrance, and then a solution for the walls to be easier to maintain cleanliness than eggshell interior paint.
IMG_2504.JPG

My workshop entry is attached to the house, but entry is an external door. There is a raised section that has direct exposure to earth. The plan here would be to excavate the earth, demo the knee-wall, and have a flat poured concrete pad mostly wall to wall.
IMG_2505.JPG

This is the view from just inside the door, back through the shop area. The plan here would be to reinforce the ceiling laterally with steel, and remove the poles, thus opening up the area. Most of the stuff in here would go to an outdoor raised shed (That I still need to build) as it is mostly storage and outdoor equipment in here. This area would then become a dedicated metal shop. My wood tools would also go to the shed.
IMG_2506.JPG

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for my lathe and mill to come,

I am looking to fit the room with a PM 833TV mill, and a PM 1340GT lathe.
Be sure to make an announcement when you hear something from those folks.
They've been silent for a long time.
I'm waiting on machines from them, myself.
I get all worried when it takes this long.

Last I heard was mid August for mill and late August for lathe.

Be sure to make an announcement when you hear something from those folks.
They've been silent for a long time.
I'm waiting on machines from them, myself.
I get all worried when it takes this long.

A good semi-gloss paint over the eggshell should be fine for the walls to make clean up easier. I put up sheet rock in my basement shop, but I don't think the paneling would be an issue.

For the flooring vinyl plank is cheap, durable and easy to clean up. The concrete floor in my basement was very rough and I put the flooring right over the concrete without issue. The planks click together kind of like Pergo, but the material is flexible / semi-soft so you can cut it with a carpet knife / box cutter.

I would consider keeping your office for the lathe and mill and save your other room for grinding and such. I assume your office has temperature control, which the machines will appreciate, and having them separate from grinders will also protect them from the grinding dust. Plus room for more machines and material storage. ;)

The house was built in 1960, so I am concerned a bit as to the flatness of the floor, but this looks like a great idea pending I don't have to re-level the concrete.

For the flooring vinyl plank is cheap, durable and easy to clean up. The concrete floor in my basement was very rough and I put the flooring right over the concrete without issue. The planks click together kind of like Pergo, but the material is flexible / semi-soft so you can cut it with a carpet knife / box cutter.

The house was built in 1960, so I am concerned a bit as to the flatness of the floor, but this looks like a great idea pending I don't have to re-level the concrete.

This was the floor, it looks like they just poured it and walked away. It was fairly level but clearly no effort was made to put a nice surface on it.

I considered some of the epoxy coatings, and I think epoxy is a good solution from what I've seen but it was more time and money than I was interested in spending. I have an area about 12x20 and the vinyl flooring cost me a pinch over $200 and I was able to install in in just a few hours. I was also able to do it in stages moving the contents from the unfinished to finished area as I went.

floor.jpg

I don't have a really good after shot of the floor, but here is a photo when I brought my shaper home that shows the flooring fairly well. Plus who doesn't like a gratuitous shot of a shaper? ;)

Atlas 7B.jpg

Back