[4]

Delrin for leveling feet insert?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I need to make some specialty inserts for leveling feet to go inside square tubing. The tubing is 1" .120 wall. I can't seem to find inserts commercially so I thought I would make some out of 1" round acetal. The plan would be to leave a 3/16" shoulder and hammer them in. Any thoughts on using acetal for this? Is it strong enough to be "heavy duty" for a small work bench?
Like this:
1547959383170.png
Robert

Last edited:

Asm109

Registered
Delrin is a very good choice. Machines like a dream, is as strong as any other plastic you might choose.

rwm

Active User
Those inserts for the 10-11 gauge would fit the tube but I already have feet that are 3/8"-16 that I would really like to use. I think I will make mine out of Delrin. Should be tougher than polyethylene too.
Thanks for the replies.
Robert

P. Waller

Brass
Former Member
Acetal, POM (polyoxymethylene), Delrin™, Celcon™ etc would not be an ideal material for this application due to cost.
Nylon, ABS, LDPE and other easily molded plastic materials would be cheaper, cheap rules for such consumer goods (-:
If you shave $0.01 off of the cost of materials per 1,000,000 parts you save $10,000, this alone should make the average cost averse hobbyist giddy.

Asm109

Registered
The guy needs 4 inserts for a workbench at home. Don't think material costs are high on his criteria.

rwm

Active User
I already spent like $60 on paint for this bargain project! I may make the inserts out of gold or platinum...
Robert

Asm109

Registered
I usually weld a square piece of 1/4 inch hot rolled on the bottom of tube structures when I need a leveling foot.
Tap the hole prior to welding.

Reactions: rwm

P. Waller

Brass
Former Member
I already spent like $60 on paint for this bargain project! I may make the inserts out of gold or platinum...
Robert
Indium would be a better choice, if a bench of the correct size and shape is constructed this would aid in the detection of extraterrestrial transmissions above 300 GHz due to galvanic ion transfer when placed on a concrete floor.

Side effects may include insomnia, acne, a strong aversion to the color often called teal, water retention, blurred vision while asleep, alanis morissette,
and a decreased desire to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

rwm

Active User
I challenge your facts here...doesn't every body hate teal?
R

KMoffett

Active User
Those inserts for the 10-11 gauge would fit the tube but I already have feet that are 3/8"-16 that I would really like to use. I think I will make mine out of Delrin. Should be tougher than polyethylene too.
Thanks for the replies.
Robert
So you also have to buy threaded metal inserts for your custom made Delrin plugs. I don't think the 3/8-16 drilled and tapped Delrin is really strong enough for your feet threads.

Ken

derf

Brass
Registered
What's wrong with shimming it level with old credit cards?

rwm

Active User
So you also have to buy threaded metal inserts for your custom made Delrin plugs. I don't think the 3/8-16 drilled and tapped Delrin is really strong enough for your feet threads.

Ken
Really? That was one of my questions. I don't think the threads will be an issue because there is a jamb nut that will butt against the bottom of the delrin. That would carry the axial load. I will probably have 1" of thread engagement. For the foot to fail the shoulder on the insert would have to shear off. Note that I expect max loading in the range of 200 lbs per insert.
Derf- my wife has all the credit cards.

Robert

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The nut should be fine for static load but when you do your adjustments, the threads have to hold the weight.

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
rwm- very nice, very pretty!

old credit cards?
Waller may have some, maxed out from Indium purchased from Alibaba:cautious:
Might be a little melty, tho:grin:

eugene13

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Side effects may include insomnia, acne, a strong aversion to the color often called teal, water retention, blurred vision while asleep, alanis morissette,
and a decreased desire to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
What, no hallucinations?

rwm

Active User
Shiny.

Chromed?
Yes. So I have figured out that Steelcase brand desks come apart into 3 drawer units that make great tool storage and workbenches! This project is a satellite mini-bench with storage. Very solid. Very nice for FREE, except for the extras I have put into it. Ya'll might want to look at these for your shop.

1548819589985.png

Robert

EDIT:
Ignore the burn mark on the floor...

ConValSam

----
I, too, have found discarded office furniture an excellent source for free-cycling. I “rescued” two media carts (think TV stand for a classroom) from a dumpster last year. Now they hold all kinds of crap in my shed!

[5] [7]