Delrin for leveling feet insert?

Those inserts for the 10-11 gauge would fit the tube but I already have feet that are 3/8"-16 that I would really like to use. I think I will make mine out of Delrin. Should be tougher than polyethylene too.
Thanks for the replies.
Robert

So you also have to buy threaded metal inserts for your custom made Delrin plugs. I don't think the 3/8-16 drilled and tapped Delrin is really strong enough for your feet threads.

Ken

What's wrong with shimming it level with old credit cards?

So you also have to buy threaded metal inserts for your custom made Delrin plugs. I don't think the 3/8-16 drilled and tapped Delrin is really strong enough for your feet threads.

Ken
Really? That was one of my questions. I don't think the threads will be an issue because there is a jamb nut that will butt against the bottom of the delrin. That would carry the axial load. I will probably have 1" of thread engagement. For the foot to fail the shoulder on the insert would have to shear off. Note that I expect max loading in the range of 200 lbs per insert.
Derf- my wife has all the credit cards.

Robert

The nut should be fine for static load but when you do your adjustments, the threads have to hold the weight.

rwm- very nice, very pretty!

old credit cards?
Waller may have some, maxed out from Indium purchased from Alibaba:cautious:
Might be a little melty, tho:grin:

Side effects may include insomnia, acne, a strong aversion to the color often called teal, water retention, blurred vision while asleep, alanis morissette,
and a decreased desire to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
What, no hallucinations?

Shiny.

Chromed?
Yes. So I have figured out that Steelcase brand desks come apart into 3 drawer units that make great tool storage and workbenches! This project is a satellite mini-bench with storage. Very solid. Very nice for FREE, except for the extras I have put into it. Ya'll might want to look at these for your shop.

1548819589985.png

Robert

EDIT:
Ignore the burn mark on the floor...

I, too, have found discarded office furniture an excellent source for free-cycling. I “rescued” two media carts (think TV stand for a classroom) from a dumpster last year. Now they hold all kinds of crap in my shed!

Back