Delta Dp-600 Drill Press Restoration (photo Intensive)

Nice work. This caught my I as I also recently acquired one. Mine had the long #2 MT spindle and was 3 ph. All I have in it is a VFD and keyed chuck and like it a lot. My table is a little bit out front to back and I was wondering if you noticed any way to adjust this when you had yours apart?

My apologies, I didn't see your post until now. I didn't see any way of adjusting the table from front to back on mine. It just has a bolt going through to hold the table to the post bracket. I'm sure if you took it apart it could be shimmed, filed, or ground back into alignment unless it has been badly bent. I would try shimming first as it's the least destructive.

GG

Nicely done; I have a 17-210 ( slow speed pulleys, #2 Morse taper) 600 series, and it's hands down the best drill press I've personally used. If you run across a second generation 17" Delta with the "T"-slotted table, it can be bolted right on the older 17" and opens up a lot of workholding options. I've added that table to mine, and installed a cut down Delta Unisaw fence, which is another underrated accessory for a drill press.
You're going to really enjoy that drill press and all it can do.
-James Huston

I wish I had the slow speed pulleys. This one has high speed pulleys and is better suited for wood working. The slowest speed is good for metal as long as the drill bits are less than 1/2". Maybe someday I'll run across a set of low speed pulleys, or better yet, someone who wants to trade. :grin:

GG

Great resto GG. It looks really nice. Is there any room to fit an idler pulley in there to slow it down. Even at 684 RPM you will find that too fast for some work.

Cheers Phil

Great resto GG. It looks really nice. Is there any room to fit an idler pulley in there to slow it down. Even at 684 RPM you will find that too fast for some work.

Thank you! I think there should be enough space to do that, and someday I would like to try it. About 1/3 of the current speed would be good for most of the metal work I do. I think the tricky part will be getting the exact matching pulley as an idler so you don't have to re-adjust the motor each time you change the speed to maintain proper belt tension. Right now the pulleys are a perfect match, and you can use any of the 5 speeds by just walking the belt up or down the pulleys without adjusting the motor. Quick and easy!

GG

If you reused the motor pulley as the idler and just put a single small pulley on the motor shaft you could use that to drive the largest diameter on the idler. That would drop your RPM considerably and still leave you with matched pulleys. You would lose one speed 'tho. Unless you added an extra single large dia. pulley to the idler as well.
Personally, my drill press has 12 speeds, but I rarely change it.

Cheers Phil

If you reused the motor pulley as the idler and just put a single small pulley on the motor shaft you could use that to drive the largest diameter on the idler. That would drop your RPM considerably and still leave you with matched pulleys. You would lose one speed 'tho. Unless you added an extra single large dia. pulley to the idler as well.
Personally, my drill press has 12 speeds, but I rarely change it.

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but that would be much quicker and easier than what I was thinking. The pulley will come off the motor easy because I used anti-seize when I put it back together. I had to fight to get it off for the rebuild, and vowed I wouldn't let that happen again 50 years from now! :D

GG

12bolts, I took your advice and moved the matching pulley to the center column, and got another step pulley from a friend for the motor. It works like a charm! Now I have 283 RPM on the spindle instead of 684 RPM. Here is the build:

20170401_234344.jpg

20170402_152632.jpg

20170402_152655.jpg

20170403_143348.jpg

20170403_151904.jpg

20170403_164929.jpg

20170403_164947.jpg

20170403_170132.jpg

20170403_173145.jpg

20170403_173747.jpg

20170403_202618.jpg

Greta job on the resto. !! I just picked up this one and had no idea what to do with it til I saw this thread. Have no idea what year/model this on is since only the serial# plate & "DP 220" cast into the head gave me any clue. Searching for any parts diagrams so I can do a full resto. on it. Some pics.....

Back