"Delta-Grip" Keyless Chuck, Feelin' Dumb

mikeyk

Registered
Registered
Alright, so, I'm feelin' real dumb having to ask for help on this. I have a 1937 Delta DP 220 with the keyless "Delta-Grip" chuck. I was drilling some holes in wood with a hole-saw and now I can't get the bit out of the chuck. I don't really see a way to lock the spindle so I held one of the pulleys while trying to loosen the chuck but it just isn't happening. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

-Mike

Interesting chuck - never saw or heard of one before. Sounds like the jaws have taken up all the slack in the spindle screw and have locked due to the large cutting forces and impacts encountered with that hole saw. You may have to take it apart to release the tension on the threads. Luckily, this is just a matter of removing the chuck from the spindle and loosening the four screws in the back of the chuck. Interesting that they recommend Vaseline as a lubricant!

mikey,
Thanks for the reply. I read over everything I had before posting, including the same sheet you posted. However, it doesn't explain how to properly tighten and release bits. I'm assuming that's because it's pretty straight forward but it feels wrong to need to hold the pulley with one and and tighten or loosen with the other hand. I guess if there's no better way to lock the spindle, your suggestion of taking it apart seems like the only solution.

-Mike

Okay, I think I see what you mean. There is no collar for you to grab onto to turn the hood of the chuck so the only option is to try to grab onto the pulley or spindle proper to allow you to apply torque. Having never seen one before I have no clue, sorry. You would think they would at least have cut some flats to put a wrench on there, right? If there is room for one, maybe you can make a knurled collar that would sit on top of the chuck, then use longer screws to pass through that to hold it and the chuck together.

Let us know how you make out. Interesting chuck.

There's no easy way to access those 4 screws at the top of the chuck. I tried a right-angle screwdriver but there still isn't enough clearance. I then tried to tap a wedged chisel around the top of the chuck, in hopes it would drop off but I'm not 100% sure if that's the proper way to remove it and I didn't want to mess anything up. This drill press is new to me so I don't know a lot about it yet. Any ideas, I don't want to have to remove the whole spindle? Thanks.

-Mike

Ah, I didn't realize the spindle was only held up with a single set screw in the side of a collar. Now I have access to the top of the chuck so I'm gonna attempt to take it apart to free the bit.

-Mike

Got it! Like you said, mikey, all I had to do was slightly loosen each of those 4 screws on top and the bit came right out. Thanks again for the suggestion!

-Mike

I'd still like to know the proper way you're supposed to tighten the chuck so, if anyone has a Delta-Grip chuck, please chime in. Thanks!

-Mike

If its like other keyless chucks, you only need to snug the body tight, the load of the drill tightens the chuck. You should never use a hole saw or drill bit bigger than the rated capacity of the chuck. They'll over tighten themselves, and you need a pipe wrench to release them.

Greg

Back