Delta/Milwakee Ammco 7" shaper

Rudy_R

Registered
Registered
I have located a shaper semi-locally. He says bull gear is in good shape. Machine looks great in the pictures. Price seems decent. Anything else to look for? I've had a few instances lately where I certainly could have really used a shaper. I think, at this point, it will be of more use to me than a mill.

Any thoughts folks?

Hi Rudy,
shapers are just cool!
take a look at the dovetails on the ram for wear.
have a look at the box and the ways
a function test would be in order, they make little noise during operation, a loud unit would indicate trouble.
i wish you the best of luck!

I think the Ammco shapers weakest link was their bull gear, which was a composite (read plastic) gear (Chevrolet used these types on their inline 6 cylinder engines back in the day. They were fine until they weren't). That's probably why the owner pointed out that feature. Other than that, galling on the ram ways due to neglected lubrication is probably the biggest issue. Galling isn't a show stopper, as you can stone down the high spots and use it, but it would affect my monetary offer. I think the small hobbyist and school shapers (Ammco, South Bend, Atlas) don't get that much use, so actual wear tends to be less of an issue.

Last edited:
A member of one of the other machining boards makes replacement bull gears for the AMMCO, Delta, Milwaukee shapers. They sell for $130.00. They are made of the same phenolic material as the originals. There are pictures of the gears for sale on his website.

Here's a link: http://www.partsproduction.com/gpb_gears.htm

My AMMCO 7" shaper is from the former Badger Ordinance Depot in Wisconsin. The production date was 1943. As far as I know it has the original Bull gear. I use the machine on a regular basis and the gear still works fine.

Last edited:
I bought my bull gear from Glen. A precision part and the guy is a treat to do business with!

George

Back