Delta Milwauka Toolmaker Surface Grinder

Vega77

Registered
Registered
Hi all
Just started out to get this machine up and running and to some degree restoring it.
It was exported from the US to Norway some time ago i bought it from the person who imported it to Norway.
I think looks rather ok, there are some things to fix though.
Its missing orginal covers for wheel and pulleys/belt.
The motor pulley doesnt look orginal, has only one "speed" and alot of runout front side 0.6mm(0.023622inches) and in V 0.07mm (0.00275inches).
Motor axel has a runout of 0.025mm (0.00098 inches)

Machine was on a pallet when i bought it, it then was out of flat by 0.15mm (0.0059inches), when on concrete floor at home its at 0.7mm(0.00275inches).
I just cleaned and stoned table and mag chuck.
Still need to level machine and regrind magchuck.

Things to fix:
  • damaged thread on spindel, wheel side. Fixed with a triangle file.
  • endplay on spindel.
  • motor might need new bearings.
  • to much runout on motorpulley.
  • leveling machine

20190929_214312.jpg

That is a neat little machine. About the right size for the home shop. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

If you need any documentation, manuals, etc send me a message with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Its fitted with a Brown & Sharpe magnetic chuck 510
On the right side it has a fitting for grease i guess.
What kind of grease and amount are recomended ?
Is it possible to find year of manufacture from serial number ?

20190929_210838.jpg

20190929_210851.jpg

Those are very nice little surface grinders Yours looks to be in nice, clean condition (compared to how mine first appeared).

Use most any grease very sparingly on the magnetic chuck. All it does is lubricate the cam that moves the permanent magnet closer/farther from the chuck surface and too much grease just drips into the base and makes a mess.

The wheel and pulley guards may be a challenge to find OEM parts - let me know if you'd like dimensioned pictures of mine to fabricate replacements. See some pix at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/craigslist-find-surface-grinder-now-the-fun-starts.36698/

Good luck!

Stu

What a neat older machine, I'm sure you will do fine work with it.

Just move the waste basket before you start or :fireman:

Cheers,

John

Those are very nice little surface grinders Yours looks to be in nice, clean condition (compared to how mine first appeared).

Use most any grease very sparingly on the magnetic chuck. All it does is lubricate the cam that moves the permanent magnet closer/farther from the chuck surface and too much grease just drips into the base and makes a mess.

The wheel and pulley guards may be a challenge to find OEM parts - let me know if you'd like dimensioned pictures of mine to fabricate replacements. See some pix at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/craigslist-find-surface-grinder-now-the-fun-starts.36698/

Good luck!

Stu
It would be interesting to take a look at your pictures, it was some crude handmade covers that id like to change at some point.

Took the motor apart today.
And yeah those bearings were worn out.
A little dust inside but not more than expected.
Looked to be in good condition apart from bearings.
Bearings for Dayton 4K858P was 6203Z

I will get new ones (skf or fag) from the local industrial suppliere, who still has a nice selection of nuts, bolts and bearings. Even some imperial ;)

20190930_211151.jpg20190930_211159.jpg20190930_211622.jpg20190930_213149.jpg20190930_214248.jpg20190929_210757.jpg20190930_211151.jpg

Last edited:
Back