Delta Milwaukee 14 oil draining

Steelcrafted

Registered
Registered
Just acquired a 1948 Delta Milwaukee 14" bandsaw with the metal cutting gearbox, and wondering the best way to drain the oil from the gearbox..... there doesn't seem to be an apparent drain plug, and most manuals I find aren't exactly comprehensive lol

Yeah I see the cup, I guess I just assumed that was going to keep drinking oil till it reached the correct level in the gearbox....it mentions a sight glass in the manual, but I can't find one lol

Nevermind, I poked around a little more, stopped being lazy and got my butt down on the ground, found a tiny little drain plug underneath, buried under years of grime, and drained out about a pint of gear oil..... mystery solved!

If that gearbox has a bronze gear in it, take care NOT to use an EP type oil (extreme pressure), it will corrode the bronze and cause failure by constant excellerated wear.

If that gearbox has a bronze gear in it, take care NOT to use an EP type oil (extreme pressure), it will corrode the bronze and cause failure by constant excellerated wear.
That is good to know....the manual calls for 40w gear oil, but I only had some iso 32 hydraulic fluid.....the fluid that came out was dark as midnight and thick as honey....I'll prob run the iso32 for a few days, drain it out to kinda clean it out, then get some proper gear oil....

Back