• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Delta-Rockwell 6x48 Belt Sander Rebuild

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

David

Active User
I have been working on a new/old rockwell belt sander for the last couple of weeks and need some advice and possibly information. I have looked for a parts list for this machine but have yet to find one which will give detailed instructions on assembly and parts. It appears that the machine has been worked on and modified at some point in its life but not sure what has been changed.

The lower drum drive shaft has some apparent wear where one of the bearings is located. I can feel a ridge with my nail when i rub it across. There is 3 thou between bearing race and shaft. Is this too much clearance or does the shaft need to be built up or replaced?

The upper tension roll has holes drilled and tapped in the roll but there is no outer belting attached like the lower roll. Does this roll need some sort of rubber/leather attached to the outside to make the sanding belt track? When I first got this machine I could not make it track for any extended period of time.

The lower drive roll was missing the bearing retaining nut but a shim was used on the inner race with pressure applied from the outer roll retaining nut (left handed thread). I will look for the correct retaining nut.

Overall this machine is in decent shape. No major cuts in sheetmetal from bad tracking belts. So I thought I would try to save and put it to use.

Any info would be appreciated.

David

delta sander 001.jpg delta sander 006.jpg delta sander 011.jpg delta sander 012.jpg delta sander 007.jpg

davidh

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
if memory serves, bearings are suppose to be tight in the housing and "loose " on the shaft. i would install new sealed bearings leave the shaft alone. unless its easy for you to make a new one. i think i have the same machine i got at a school auction a bunch of years ago. great machine considering the kids probably used it for 50 years or so. mine didn't have the stock rest or whatever its called, i had to fab a quickie with some hardboard but i didn't take advantage of the angle adjustment that i could have. i guess i don't use it enuf to make it a difference. but when i do, its awsome. . .
maybe i should get off my butt and go look at mine ane seee how its put together and post a pix or two for ya. . . ok

davidh

Active User
this thing must be old, i could not find a name on it. . .however,

woodsander1.jpg woodsander2.jpg woodsander3.jpg

i would like to see pix of the rh side of yours where the angle adjustment for the work rest is. . . is possible. you can see where the stuff belongs, jsut an empty hole now. .

woodsander1.jpg woodsander2.jpg woodsander3.jpg

David

Active User
here you go David, yours looks like a Rockwell. I think they call it a 31-501

delta sander 002.jpg

PIKEMAN

Active User
I have the same sander, and love it for use on metal. i would recrown that upper drum. Tear a belt down to about 1.5-2" wide, and use that to run the upper drum. Use a sanding block and taper that upper drum from the center out.

David

Active User
I was wondering what options I had on recrowning if there was no attaching media to the steel drum. I take it Pikeman that your upper roller is steel only? Thanks for advice.

David

PIKEMAN

Active User
My upper drum is aluminum. Be very careful with the yoke for the upper drum, they will not take a lot of abuse when changing the bearings.

David

Active User
here you go David, yours looks like a Rockwell. I think they call it a 31-501
Thanks for the manual Pikeman, that helps with component ID. My machine must be somewhat older as the upper drum is steel and is one piece. Looks like the two piece has a definite crown. Maybe I should look for replacement rollers or a parts machine to make these changes. There is no data plate to see how old this machine is.

PIKEMAN

Active User
Parts come up on eBay every so often. That upper yoke is so fragile that someone is making a reprduction one, and it is quite spendy. Delta's website recommends cutting the shaft when replacing bearings on the upper yoke.( Might be because they still sell the shaft and not the yoke:rofl:). I ended up buying a second machine for parts, feel free to hit me up for anything you might need.

David

Active User
The upper shaft has been bradded with a center punch at 4 points on each end. That's why I have not changed bearings yet. Does not look good.

David

Active User
A little more progress on the rebuild. I have sourced some parts for the lower drive assembly and they should arrive this week. This should fix the problems on the lower drive. I have removed the upper roll and shaft and have more wear in the tension roll than I would like. Sooo, I am in need of the upper tension roll and shaft if anyone has one!

Completed the work on the stand. Added wheels for mobility. Painted and ready for reassembly.

Have some projects coming up and need this machine operational!

Thanks of looking. Hope it may be of interest to some.

David

delta sander 014.jpg delta sander 015.jpg delta sander 016.jpg

PIKEMAN

Active User
My sander is on a Delta stamped sheet metal stand, and the thing is top heavy enough to be dangerous. The stand you built looks great, make sure has some weight down low. I have a Delta stamped belt guard that would look great on that machine!:whistle:

David

Active User
This stand was made by a previous owner. Very heavy. When I added the wheel brackets I widened it about 4 inches on each side due to it being top heavy. Raised the machine about 1.5 inches. I think it will be ok. What would it take Pikeman to get a look at the belt guard as this machine does not have one. PM me on a price if you would.

David

davidh

Active User
when mine came home, i measured the belt and ordered a dozen of them. i never thought of makeing it horizontal. does it convert easily ? i should have cleaned it and painted it but. . . thats just not me i guess. . . sad

that upper shaft looks pretty simple to me. just a shaft with threads on both ends ? make one.. .. ..

David

Active User
Hi DavidH,

Not sure if a newer aluminum roller has the same shaft dia, or configuration, the old roller has egg shaped, so it would be better if I could find the whole assembly together. Preferably one with a crown.

David

wawoodman

himself, himself
That's a great job. It almost inspires me to roll mine out of the corner where it lives, and pretty it up.

David

Active User
Update on progress. Started putting machine back together. Installed new bearings and drive roll shaft for drive system. All metal back on and fitted. Still need upper tension roll and shaft/shims, found a new billet roll assembly for $400, ouch!! will continue to look for good used one. Also looking to find a way to adapt factory belt guard for safety and looks. will utilize Norton zarconia belts if and when project is complete. Thanks for looking

David

delta sander 017.jpg delta sander 018.jpg

David

Active User
Thanks Pikeman, I think I can adjust the motor mount some and build a 2" spacer for the base to get to the measurement for the belt guard. I will look closer at this in next few days
David

Oldarn

Swarf
Registered Member
David,

Very nice restoration on your Delta 6 X 48. I have two to restore, I plan on donating one to my local high school wood shop. I'm new here, I kind of got here backwards.

I belong to another forum, I nope I won't get into trouble posting it, they could have really helped you out during your restoration. If you join, they have a section called BOYD (bring out your dead) where you can post wanted ads and for sale ads as well as get great info on machines.

They can help you out on info on crowning your sander drums. Heck, I can help you, the easiest way to do it is to cut a 2" strip on your 6 X 48 belt then you can rip it all the way around so you have a 2" wide belt, then install the 2" belt to drive the upper drum and use the rest to crown the drum as it goes around. When you're done with one side move the belt to the other and do that side. Use a good straight edge to check your progress. It's not that important that you get it perfect, just close. The website is OWWM.org for the forum. For info, pics and machine manuals, got to OWWM.com

Hope this helps you and other folks.

David

OOPS, I didn't see where Pikeman had the same idea.... David, do you need the threaded rod that applies tension and the spring?

David

Active User
Sorry I missed your post David, I have been busy with other stuff lately. The only parts I am in need of to get the machine going is the upper tension roll, bearing retainer nut and the upper shaft.

The machine is sitting to the side until I can locate these parts. Thanks for the interest.

David

David

Active User
Thanks to Oldarn, a used upper tension roll assembly was located for the sander. Installed new bearings and the rolls and shaft look good with minimal wear. Reinstalled assembly and the belt tracks true!

Now for the wiring and possibly the belt guard! Will post picture when finished.

Thanks for looking.

David

Woodman

Iron
Registered Member
I am working on a Rockwell Delta 6 X 48 sander. I guess it is from the 1940's. It has a 3/4 hp Westinghouse motor on it. Right now it runs on 120v but it can be changed to 240v. Everything is there. I just bought new belts from Grainger. As soon as get a new belt, I will give it a try. It has an open base with a rod connected to the on/ off switch. Does anyone have an idea what the belt length should be?
Woodman

cbtrek

Active User
Update on progress. Started putting machine back together. Installed new bearings and drive roll shaft for drive system. All metal back on and fitted. Still need upper tension roll and shaft/shims, found a new billet roll assembly for $400, ouch!! will continue to look for good used one. Also looking to find a way to adapt factory belt guard for safety and looks. will utilize Norton zarconia belts if and when project is complete. Thanks for looking

David
Very nice restoration job.

I also enjoy taking a well used old piece of equipment and renewing it again with many years of use ahead.

[6]
[5] [7]