[4]

Delta-Rockwell 6x48 Belt Sander Rebuild

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Woodman

Registered
I finally have my sander up and running. I found out it is a model 1400 and was made in 1948. The motor is rebuilt I replaced the lower pulley and belt. With a 5" pulley and the original old stand" belt. I used a 58" belt.

Woodman

Registered
After working on the Rockewll sander I discovered several things. The motor is a Westinghouse 3/4hp with a double shaft. The motor was rebuilt this past month and I had new bearings installed as well as giving it a thorough cleaning. It was full of sawdust. I did ruin the pulley when I removed it from the motor with a gear puller. Now the sander works just fine. It has new sanding belts, rebuilt motor and a new drive belt. All I need to do is to repaint it and submit the photos.

David

Active User
Registered
Looking forward to the pics. Sounds like you have a good sound machine now

David

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
After working on the Rockewll sander I discovered several things. The motor is a Westinghouse 3/4hp with a double shaft. The motor was rebuilt this past month and I had new bearings installed as well as giving it a thorough cleaning. It was full of sawdust. I did ruin the pulley when I removed it from the motor with a gear puller. Now the sander works just fine. It has new sanding belts, rebuilt motor and a new drive belt. All I need to do is to repaint it and submit the photos.
And that's the end of that.
How about the pictures,or isn't it done yet?
Thanks,
Tony

Woodman

Registered
The sander painting was placed on the back burner because my truck had major problems with the brakes. I had to replace the entire emergency brake system and the brake booster and a new vacuum pump. Then the spring shackles got bent when I got a load of stone. Soon I hope to get back to the sander.

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
The sander painting was placed on the back burner because my truck had major problems with the brakes. I had to replace the entire emergency brake system and the brake booster and a new vacuum pump. Then the spring shackles got bent when I got a load of stone. Soon I hope to get back to the sander.
That sucks.
OK let us know,
Where did you get your lower bearings, looks like part numbers in MRC
204 FSF and 205 FSF
Thanks,
Tony

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
I just realized your from New Ken.PA.
I used to live in Pgh. Went to school in the south hills, lived In Imperial for 10 years before I moved down this way.
There are a lot of people on this group that are close by.

jmwarden1

Mike
Registered
I am working on a Rockwell Delta 6 X 48 sander. I guess it is from the 1940's. It has a 3/4 hp Westinghouse motor on it. Right now it runs on 120v but it can be changed to 240v. Everything is there. I just bought new belts from Grainger. As soon as get a new belt, I will give it a try. It has an open base with a rod connected to the on/ off switch. Does anyone have an idea what the belt length should be?
Woodman
Hi Woodman, looking through the posts on Delta-Rockwell belt sanders and seen your request for the length of the belt. If you still need it, I ran across an old drawing that shows 56". I'm going to be restoring a Rockwell, just like yours here as soon as they get it shipped. Good luck with your rebuild. P.S. just found another drawing on an old Delta parts list and it shows 57-1/2" in circumference, but the p/n is 560 ?

Woodman

Registered
I used a 58" belt that I got from NAPA. It seems to work just fine. I have sanded a few wooden pieces since I overhauled the sander. The top cover had 2 gouges in it so I filled them with epoxy. Unfortunately the glue remained sticky so I must remove it and start over again.

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
if memory serves, bearings are suppose to be tight in the housing and "loose " on the shaft. i would install new sealed bearings leave the shaft alone. unless its easy for you to make a new one.
that is correct. It's called a slip fit. once the bearings are pressed in and the shaft installed, the nut installed on the pulley side and tightened, and the spacer installed on the drum side, and the lower drum slid on, and the left handed nut tightened up, the spacer will tighten up to the bearing race on the drum side, and the nut on the pulley side.
That will lock the inner races to the shaft.

- - - Updated - - -

Parts come up on eBay every so often. That upper yoke is so fragile that someone is making a reprduction one, and it is quite spendy. Delta's website recommends cutting the shaft when replacing bearings on the upper yoke.( Might be because they still sell the shaft and not the yoke:rofl:). I ended up buying a second machine for parts, feel free to hit me up for anything you might need.
heck, I should have asked you, I needed the spanner nut that holds the top bearing in the yoke, but I ended up making one.

DSCF0678 Save.JPG DSCF0679.JPG

kcjack

Registered
Update on progress. Started putting machine back together. Installed new bearings and drive roll shaft for drive system. All metal back on and fitted. Still need upper tension roll and shaft/shims, found a new billet roll assembly for $400, ouch!! will continue to look for good used one. Also looking to find a way to adapt factory belt guard for safety and looks. will utilize Norton zarconia belts if and when project is complete. Thanks for looking

David
Can you post what size pulley you have on the motor I need to get one for my rebuild

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I am working on a Rockwell Delta 6 X 48 sander. Does anyone have an idea what the belt length should be?
Woodman
Question was already answered

Last edited:

lcanterbury

Registered
Anyone have any idea where I can find an upper yoke assembly for this belt sander? Ive gone through and changed the lower bearings, new belt, all electrical work. Now all I need is a new yoke, the nut holding the upper bearings in is gone and it needs new bearings. Any help? Anyone interested in buying it? I have no attachment to it, I just found it in an old barn.

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
Anyone have any idea where I can find an upper yoke assembly for this belt sander? Ive gone through and changed the lower bearings, new belt, all electrical work. Now all I need is a new yoke, the nut holding the upper bearings in is gone and it needs new bearings. Any help? Anyone interested in buying it? I have no attachment to it, I just found it in an old barn.
If you just need the nut and bearings, you can get bearings cheap on e bay, or probably better ones from Accurate bearing. Just give them the numbers.
They are reasonable on shipping too. $4.00 or $5.00 depending on size of order.
There is I am pretty sure a Dayton sander that is about the same thing, and the nut IIRC was only $10.00, as opposed to $50.00 (Yes, $50.00 just for the nut)
Or put you a wanted to buy on the BOYD (Bring Out Your Dead) column of OWWM someone over there might have a nut for you. It is there classifieds section.
I can post the request if you would rather, but it is not much effort to set up an account.
You would have to look around on the net, I have to leave here soon, so I can't look now, but this sander was about the same as the delta.
Now weather the nut is the same, I don't know. You would have to take a chance, unless you could contact them.

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
If you just need the nut and bearings, you can get bearings cheap on e bay, or probably better ones from Accurate bearing. Just give them the numbers.
They are reasonable on shipping too. $4.00 or $5.00 depending on size of order.
There is I am pretty sure a Dayton sander that is about the same thing, and the nut IIRC was only $10.00, as opposed to $50.00 (Yes, $50.00 just for the nut)
Or put you a wanted to buy on the BOYD (Bring Out Your Dead) column of OWWM someone over there might have a nut for you. It is there classifieds section.
I can post the request if you would rather, but it is not much effort to set up an account.
You would have to look around on the net, I have to leave here soon, so I can't look now, but this sander was about the same as the delta.
Now weather the nut is the same, I don't know. You would have to take a chance, unless you could contact them.
there is a guy over there has one, but I don't know if he has the spanner nut for it. I sent him a PM.
http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=145374

vrettosjames

Registered
Thanks for this Thread!!!! about to re-assemble My rockwell sander. Diagram was a tremendous help. Ill post pics when finished!

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
Yes, Let us Know.
I ended up with a powermatic, so I ended up selling my Delta. Came out pretty nice though.
I will try to find some pictures of it, if you are interested?

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
Here are a few.
Had to make the bracket for the belt guard. Came out pretty clean. Didn't paint the bracket.....lol.....should have.
Note the home made faucet knobs, Made from real old fashioned faucet knobs.......lol

Attachments

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice job, I been restoring one myself over the past couple of weeks. Mine is a bit newer (1983) model 31-730 Disc/belt. Still need to clean up and paint the lower cabinet.
Again, nice job.
Paco

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
Nice job, I been restoring one myself over the past couple of weeks. Mine is a bit newer (1983) model 31-730 Disc/belt. Still need to clean up and paint the lower cabinet.
Again, nice job.
Paco
Thank you, Paco

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

vrettosjames

Registered
About 70 % done. Changed the bearings on the bottom assembly, today the top bearings go on. New motor goes in, and we should be up and running soon. Old electrical was wrapped in asbestos. changing that as well as the starter.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
James,
Soak the idler shaft with plenty of penitrating oil and support the rollers and the cast yoke during the pressing operation. Those cast iron yokes are easily broken when not supported properly and hard to find without spending stupid money.
Check out my thread on "restoring a Rockwell/delta finishing machine" on tool junkie forum for pictures of the pressing setup. It went without drama.
Good luck.
Paco

[6]
[5] [7]