About 70 % done. Changed the bearings on the bottom assembly, today the top bearings go on. New motor goes in, and we should be up and running soon. Old electrical was wrapped in asbestos. changing that as well as the starter.
Soak the idler shaft with plenty of penitrating oil and support the rollers and the cast yoke during the pressing operation. Those cast iron yokes are easily broken when not supported properly and hard to find without spending stupid money.
Check out my thread on "restoring a Rockwell/delta finishing machine" on tool junkie forum for pictures of the pressing setup. It went without drama.
I'm resurrecting this old thread just to add a little info in case it may help someone else that is rebuilding one of these sanders or is having trouble with the 6x48 belt tracking properly.
Twenty something years ago I got one of these machines with the 6x48 belt and 12" disc for free. It had been thrown out as scrap and it was in pretty sad shape. It just sat in the corner of my garage for quite a few years until about 15 years ago I drug it out and completely rebuilt it, installed a new motor, fabricated a few missing parts and made it pretty. From day one, I fought with erratic belt tracking. Tried different belts with no luck. I knew that the driven belt pulley should be crowned and always just assumed that it was. Well, after 15 year of fighting with it I finally checked that upper belt pulley. Zero crown. I took it off, set it up in the lathe and turned a .020" taper on it. From the first flip of the switch it has tracked perfectly.
Sure wish I would get over this habit of putting things off for years !
I bought one of these in the spring of 2018. The thing was in great shape except it needed bearings. I put new bearings in it. Worked great!
Then we had a big fire.
I would like to find another one, and a Delta 14" metal/wood band saw to go with it. I had one of those also I had just rebuilt! Grrrr.
Continuing the ressurection of this thread...
I just got one of these yesterday. It runs great, though it is pretty dirty and is missing the top cover and the cover on the left side (that gets removed to replace the sanding belt.)
All I have done so far is blown a ton of dust out of it and startEd cleaning it.
Also, unfortunately, a knob on the back broke in transport.
These are great belt sanders.
I found my Delta metal/wood 14" band saw. The seller asked me if I wanted to buy one of these sanders. I was torn.
It was in incredible condition. Even the top cover did not have the slit from the belt sliding over.
He wanted $700. I don't know if he still has it.