Delta-Rockwell 6x48 Belt Sander Rebuild

Update on progress. Started putting machine back together. Installed new bearings and drive roll shaft for drive system. All metal back on and fitted. Still need upper tension roll and shaft/shims, found a new billet roll assembly for $400, ouch!! will continue to look for good used one. Also looking to find a way to adapt factory belt guard for safety and looks. will utilize Norton zarconia belts if and when project is complete. Thanks for looking

David

Can you post what size pulley you have on the motor I need to get one for my rebuild

I am working on a Rockwell Delta 6 X 48 sander. Does anyone have an idea what the belt length should be?
Woodman

Question was already answered

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea where I can find an upper yoke assembly for this belt sander? Ive gone through and changed the lower bearings, new belt, all electrical work. Now all I need is a new yoke, the nut holding the upper bearings in is gone and it needs new bearings. Any help? Anyone interested in buying it? I have no attachment to it, I just found it in an old barn.

Anyone have any idea where I can find an upper yoke assembly for this belt sander? Ive gone through and changed the lower bearings, new belt, all electrical work. Now all I need is a new yoke, the nut holding the upper bearings in is gone and it needs new bearings. Any help? Anyone interested in buying it? I have no attachment to it, I just found it in an old barn.

If you just need the nut and bearings, you can get bearings cheap on e bay, or probably better ones from Accurate bearing. Just give them the numbers.
They are reasonable on shipping too. $4.00 or $5.00 depending on size of order.
There is I am pretty sure a Dayton sander that is about the same thing, and the nut IIRC was only $10.00, as opposed to $50.00 (Yes, $50.00 just for the nut)
Or put you a wanted to buy on the BOYD (Bring Out Your Dead) column of OWWM someone over there might have a nut for you. It is there classifieds section.
I can post the request if you would rather, but it is not much effort to set up an account.
You would have to look around on the net, I have to leave here soon, so I can't look now, but this sander was about the same as the delta.
Now weather the nut is the same, I don't know. You would have to take a chance, unless you could contact them.

If you just need the nut and bearings, you can get bearings cheap on e bay, or probably better ones from Accurate bearing. Just give them the numbers.
They are reasonable on shipping too. $4.00 or $5.00 depending on size of order.
There is I am pretty sure a Dayton sander that is about the same thing, and the nut IIRC was only $10.00, as opposed to $50.00 (Yes, $50.00 just for the nut)
Or put you a wanted to buy on the BOYD (Bring Out Your Dead) column of OWWM someone over there might have a nut for you. It is there classifieds section.
I can post the request if you would rather, but it is not much effort to set up an account.
You would have to look around on the net, I have to leave here soon, so I can't look now, but this sander was about the same as the delta.
Now weather the nut is the same, I don't know. You would have to take a chance, unless you could contact them.

there is a guy over there has one, but I don't know if he has the spanner nut for it. I sent him a PM.
http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=145374

Thanks for this Thread!!!! about to re-assemble My rockwell sander. Diagram was a tremendous help. Ill post pics when finished!

Yes, Let us Know.
I ended up with a powermatic, so I ended up selling my Delta. Came out pretty nice though.
I will try to find some pictures of it, if you are interested?

Here are a few.
Had to make the bracket for the belt guard. Came out pretty clean. Didn't paint the bracket.....lol.....should have.
Note the home made faucet knobs, Made from real old fashioned faucet knobs.......lol

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Nice job, I been restoring one myself over the past couple of weeks. Mine is a bit newer (1983) model 31-730 Disc/belt. Still need to clean up and paint the lower cabinet.
Again, nice job.
Paco

Back