Delta-Rockwell 6x48 Belt Sander Rebuild

David

Active User
Registered
I have been working on a new/old rockwell belt sander for the last couple of weeks and need some advice and possibly information. I have looked for a parts list for this machine but have yet to find one which will give detailed instructions on assembly and parts. It appears that the machine has been worked on and modified at some point in its life but not sure what has been changed.

The lower drum drive shaft has some apparent wear where one of the bearings is located. I can feel a ridge with my nail when i rub it across. There is 3 thou between bearing race and shaft. Is this too much clearance or does the shaft need to be built up or replaced?

The upper tension roll has holes drilled and tapped in the roll but there is no outer belting attached like the lower roll. Does this roll need some sort of rubber/leather attached to the outside to make the sanding belt track? When I first got this machine I could not make it track for any extended period of time.

The lower drive roll was missing the bearing retaining nut but a shim was used on the inner race with pressure applied from the outer roll retaining nut (left handed thread). I will look for the correct retaining nut.

Overall this machine is in decent shape. No major cuts in sheetmetal from bad tracking belts. So I thought I would try to save and put it to use.

Any info would be appreciated.

David

delta sander 001.jpg delta sander 006.jpg delta sander 011.jpg delta sander 012.jpg delta sander 007.jpg

if memory serves, bearings are suppose to be tight in the housing and "loose " on the shaft. i would install new sealed bearings leave the shaft alone. unless its easy for you to make a new one. i think i have the same machine i got at a school auction a bunch of years ago. great machine considering the kids probably used it for 50 years or so. mine didn't have the stock rest or whatever its called, i had to fab a quickie with some hardboard but i didn't take advantage of the angle adjustment that i could have. i guess i don't use it enuf to make it a difference. but when i do, its awsome. . .
maybe i should get off my butt and go look at mine ane seee how its put together and post a pix or two for ya. . . ok

this thing must be old, i could not find a name on it. . .however,

woodsander1.jpgwoodsander2.jpgwoodsander3.jpg

i would like to see pix of the rh side of yours where the angle adjustment for the work rest is. . . is possible. you can see where the stuff belongs, jsut an empty hole now. .

woodsander1.jpg woodsander2.jpg woodsander3.jpg

here you go David, yours looks like a Rockwell. I think they call it a 31-501

delta sander 002.jpg

I have the same sander, and love it for use on metal. i would recrown that upper drum. Tear a belt down to about 1.5-2" wide, and use that to run the upper drum. Use a sanding block and taper that upper drum from the center out.

I was wondering what options I had on recrowning if there was no attaching media to the steel drum. I take it Pikeman that your upper roller is steel only? Thanks for advice.

David

My upper drum is aluminum. Be very careful with the yoke for the upper drum, they will not take a lot of abuse when changing the bearings.

I have atached a typical manual for your sander

Attachments

• _pubs_1141_517.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 235
here you go David, yours looks like a Rockwell. I think they call it a 31-501

Thanks for the manual Pikeman, that helps with component ID. My machine must be somewhat older as the upper drum is steel and is one piece. Looks like the two piece has a definite crown. Maybe I should look for replacement rollers or a parts machine to make these changes. There is no data plate to see how old this machine is.

Back