Delta-Rockwell 6x48 Belt Sander Rebuild

Parts come up on eBay every so often. That upper yoke is so fragile that someone is making a reprduction one, and it is quite spendy. Delta's website recommends cutting the shaft when replacing bearings on the upper yoke.( Might be because they still sell the shaft and not the yoke:rofl:). I ended up buying a second machine for parts, feel free to hit me up for anything you might need.

The upper shaft has been bradded with a center punch at 4 points on each end. That's why I have not changed bearings yet. Does not look good.

A little more progress on the rebuild. I have sourced some parts for the lower drive assembly and they should arrive this week. This should fix the problems on the lower drive. I have removed the upper roll and shaft and have more wear in the tension roll than I would like. Sooo, I am in need of the upper tension roll and shaft if anyone has one!

Completed the work on the stand. Added wheels for mobility. Painted and ready for reassembly.

Have some projects coming up and need this machine operational!

Thanks of looking. Hope it may be of interest to some.

David

delta sander 014.jpg delta sander 015.jpg delta sander 016.jpg

My sander is on a Delta stamped sheet metal stand, and the thing is top heavy enough to be dangerous. The stand you built looks great, make sure has some weight down low. I have a Delta stamped belt guard that would look great on that machine!:whistle:

This stand was made by a previous owner. Very heavy. When I added the wheel brackets I widened it about 4 inches on each side due to it being top heavy. Raised the machine about 1.5 inches. I think it will be ok. What would it take Pikeman to get a look at the belt guard as this machine does not have one. PM me on a price if you would.

David

when mine came home, i measured the belt and ordered a dozen of them. i never thought of makeing it horizontal. does it convert easily ? i should have cleaned it and painted it but. . . thats just not me i guess. . . sad

that upper shaft looks pretty simple to me. just a shaft with threads on both ends ? make one.. .. ..

Hi DavidH,

Not sure if a newer aluminum roller has the same shaft dia, or configuration, the old roller has egg shaped, so it would be better if I could find the whole assembly together. Preferably one with a crown.

David

That's a great job. It almost inspires me to roll mine out of the corner where it lives, and pretty it up.

Back