Delta Shaper Help With Inspection And Price

toolman_ar

Active User
Registered
I have found a little shaper for sale.

The Tag states Delta, and I think this is the Ammco 7" shaper.

For thoes who have one of these machines, what should I look at regarding condition?

Currently the machine is in parts... not sure why. The original vice is supposed to be present.

But I don't know what else to look for.

I know that having one of these little shapers is a must have item... but how much should I expect to spend?

I have purchased items in the past that were not running. I don't like doing that, but sometimes there is no choice.

Please let me know what you say...

toolman_ar

Delta Shaper Lub Tag.jpg Delta Shaper.jpg

I would suggest you contact the “Ulma Doctor” that resides in this forum. He is the all wise one on that little shaper…Dave

Talvare has one as well. Nice machines. Must have? Man, you must be drinking the Kool Aid. They are fun little machines, and can be damned useful, but are by no means a requirement in a shop, except perhaps for the coolness factor, which is reason enough for a hobby machinist. Commercial machine shops almost never have a shaper any more. They say "You can make most anything with a shaper, except money..."

Bob,

I have been looking for one for some time. The only ones I found local were big machines.

This one is small. My space is all but filled up. I think I have a spot for it.

And yes pear pressure is always a worry...

I don't want to be the only adult kid without one...

toolman_ar

Toolman,
One of the most common problems with these little Ammco shapers is a damaged bull gear. The bull gear is made of Bakelite phenolic and have been known to loose some teeth if the machine was abused, so I would check that carefully. These machines have a lot of little linkages, rods, cams, knobs, etc., and since the machine you're looking at isn't operational, I would suggest getting on the internet and looking at photos and also manuals to insure that all of the parts are there. I think there is a manual posted on this site. Like with any piece of machinery with ways, that is where the machine's accuracy and precision is maintained, so check the ways for the ram as well as the cross-feed and vertical ways on the table. Here's a brochure that may help: http://www.lathe.com/catalogs/Ammco7ShaperColor.pdf
Also, check out this thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/aamco-shaper.51588/
Hope this helps a little.
Ted

Last edited:
Ted,

Thank you for the inspection items.

I will look over the catalogs to try and find all the parts.

The asking price is $500.00, and that is to rich for my budget. My hope is to negotiate for a little less than half of the asking price. Depending on what extras are available.

toolman_ar

New toys are good! Congrats.

Keep us posted with pictures and comments of the assembly/restoration progress.

I have one of these little shapers, they are really sweet. As mentioned, the phenolic bull gear is the first thing to check. Be sure all the parts are there, they will be hard to source if missing. Here is mine. If you need close ups of any parts, let me know. Good luck in getting it.

FinishedAMMCO_zpslxhgwqkw.jpg

I traveled over and met with the seller on Saturday. We struck a deal and loaded my little red truck.

There are a few parts missing, but the seller said come back and we can dig around to see if we can find them.

A few pictures:

Feed adjustment side.jpg Feed adjustment top down look.jpg Stroke adjustment side shade view.jpg Stroke adjustment hole.jpg Serial Number Tag.jpg Rear view of Shaper.jpg

Back