Delta Shaper Help With Inspection And Price

Toolman_ar - I have some good info on the AMMCO shaper including some notes on disassembly, manuals and use etc. Give me your email and I'll send them to you.

Ndnchf,
I got your email, thank you!!

I also met with the seller again today. He found the countershaft/motor mount. It has been repaired where the base meets the vertical portion of the motor mount.

But it is better than no mount... Now I need to find something to bolt this on top of...

toolman_arCounter shaft.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the repair done well? Hopefully it will clean up and be usable. Or can be properly repaired if necessary.

My plan is to wire brush it and give it the old hammer test.

If it pops apart, I will reweld it.

Now I need to find the proper grey/blue paint.

toolman_ar

toolman_ar,

I picked up one of these shapers yesterday. The serial number is SH1-233312 it is an Ammco not Delta branded, I just wondered where you got the dating info from? I'd like to know the vintage of mine. With the number of digits in the serial I'm guessing it's late model?

Thanks George

George,
I found a serial number list for Rockwell Delta.

Congrats on your find!!

toolman_ar

Thanks toolman_ar! I'll see if I can find that list.

Found this on Ventagemachinery:

The serial number is SH943620 which, best I can figure, places it around Aug-Sept 1944. It has its original vise, the War Production Board tag, Delta work light, and the rotary switch. I even think the belts are original (still functional) but will be changed at a later date. The 1/3hp Sunlight Electric motor also appears to be original to the machine. Since it didn’t have a stand, I made one for it that’s a close approximation of the original. It was made from scrap construction lumber (top and framing), pine recovered from a dumpster (doors and drawer), and some left over walnut from a chair project. I have to say I’m as happy as can be with it – it’s a great addition to the shop and I can’t wait for the first project (a part for an Atlas mill that’s next in the que).

Back