Depth Gage?

Kroll, I use a home made depth gauge for small holes that works really well. It is just a 3" long piece of brass drilled to receive a 5" long piece of stainless fishing leader that is 0.075" OD (#26 fishing leader). The leader has a rounded end and the other end is flat. I drilled the hole in the 1/4" OD brass thing that you hold onto from both ends. Drills this small will not drill straight, which is good in this case because the through hole will be slightly mis-matched. This provides just enough tension on the wire to hold it firmly in place but it moves with just a little pressure.

To use it, you stick the wire in the hole and push the brass body of the holder down to meet the top of the part, then you pull it out and measure the wire with a rule or the tail of a dial caliper. This is not the most accurate way to do things but it is very fast and accurate enough for gauging hole depth.

As with RJ just make a rod the correct length and keep dropping it into the hole. Run your finger nail over it until it doesn't catch. If you want more precision than this make two rods, go and no go maybe .001 apart on either side of dimension and use a calibrated fingernail. :)

I like the homemade depth gauge from Epanzella and will make one. Beats using a rod and pair of Visegrips. Charles

As with RJ just make a rod the correct length and keep dropping it into the hole. Run your finger nail over it until it doesn't catch. If you want more precision than this make two rods, go and no go maybe .001 apart on either side of dimension and use a calibrated fingernail. :)

I like the homemade depth gauge from Epanzella and will make one. Beats using a rod and pair of Visegrips. Charles

I looked at eBay and see that you can buy a plastic caliper with a 1/8 depth stem for less then $10 bucks. I don’t think I could make a homemade tool for that little money.”

You can also get those tire tread gauges for pretty cheap. Supposedly they’re pretty accurate but they are limited to about an inch of depth, max.

-frank

828D9C50-836D-4B56-AA33-128574652E8D.png

Back