Design/Fix question for lawn mower control

dave_r_1

Registered
Registered
I've got a Husqvarna walkbehind mower, with 2 hydraulic controllers (one for each rear wheel), and since I've got the controllers off and rebuilding them, I also want to fix the control arm on each of them.
IMG_1490.jpg

The hole is ovalled (a short rod goes through that hole, and it is forced up and down to get the wheel to go forward or backward).

The pin going through that hole is 3/8", and this part (pictured) is 3/16" thick). The things I came up with doing are:

-cut a short bit of 7/16" of mild steel rod, drill a 3/8" hole in the middle, drill the hole in the bracket out to 7/16", and use it as a steel bushing
-same 7/16" piece of steel rod, drill hole in bracket to 7/16", weld the plug in place, grind flat, drill 3/8" hole in center of plug
-drill hole in bracket to 7/16" or 1/2", get and then machine down an oilite bushing to use in that hole

Drill or mill the hole to 7/16 and use a 7/16" pin or use the 3/8s pin with a 7/16s bushing .

Whenever I get my hands on the older Cubs and IH's , first order of business is to scrap the original Heim joints ( which are known as the weak point ) on the steering joints and beef up the rods . I bore out the holes , use shoulder bolts and rod ends and larger steering shafts .

-drill hole in bracket to 7/16" or 1/2", get and then machine down an oilite bushing to use in that hole
I would go this route. Since it isn't a rotating part (aside from a little pivot) oilite wouldn't be necessary, plain brass or bronze would be fine. I would use this rather than a steel bushing so you wouldn't eventually wear the 7/16" hole bigger, you'll just wear the bushing. The amount of grit that a mover kicks up is incredibly hard on linkages.

Funny story related to this issue. Gave an old mower to a neighbor a few years ago. A couple months ago he came to me very frustrated, said he had been to 3 different John Deere dealers and none of them had the bushings for the front mower deck mount. A few choice words came out of his mouth when I told him the mower didn't come with them, I had made them when the holes had wallowed out. I made him a few more and told him ask me first next time!

Thank you both for your input.

I think I'll first try drilling the brackets out to 7/16", then making a bronze bushing to fit the 3/8" pins I already made this spring, and see how it wears. If it wears out too fast, I'll switch it up and make new 7/16" pins, which should take a good long while to wear out (as the worn bits are more than 15 years old).

I'll fix up these brackets while I'm waiting for parts to rebuild the hydro controllers.

Back