Desire possibly rigging in western ny

Jason5555

Registered
Registered
I won a few online auction items at an industrial site and am in a bit over my head. Many of the details are in my thread within the trading post. But I won a Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder. It's fairly easily accessible and movable with the right equipment. The drop of would be slightly more challenging due to it being in a residential area on a hill and I'd would like to place in my basement which has a walk in door from my backyard(which can be driven into). I'm curious as to the cost of such as the drive between the two locations are less than a half hour. I greatly appreciate the input and possible assistance.

A friend with a pickup might do it for a case of beer. A professional Rigger, on the other hand might want a week's wages.

Rent yourself one of those heavy duty U-Haul trailers for $20 and do it yourself.

The Cinci #2 T&C grinder is a pretty solid chunk, but it has a pretty wide base and the weight is low (not as tippy as many machines). The designed lifting location is to run a couple bars through the provided holes in the casting. For moving one of these machines around, a floor jack works great. The Cinci T&C grinder actually moves pretty readily, it is not crazy heavy (2000-2500#) and with the wide base and low center of gravity it handles well.

I did my first "Cash to move" on my VMC, it was about a 15 minute drive - cost was $2500. That included the extract, load, transport, deliver to final location in the shop (the weight was ~#9000). Basically you have to pay by the hour - 2 guys, the truck and the machine that does the move, which in my case was a forklift. In order to get to where I live, I also had to pay their travel time out and back (another 4 hours).

I usually go the "move it myself" option. However with the VMC, a condition the seller put on the sale was that I would use a professional mover (to get it out of the seller's facility - after that he did not care, obviously by then I had paid 90% the cost of the complete job). When I look back on it, the $$ was well spent. The pros can do a great job.

You may not have to pay as much travel time, but you ought to figure there will be a minimum cost plus an hourly cost.

Let us know how you make out.

I just brought home a grinder also, although mine was considerable less weight than yours. A 2 ton shop crane made quick work of the unloading. I would spend whatever money you would have on a rigger, and instead buy a shop crane or telescoping gantry crane and do it yourself and come out of the deal with new tools to boot.IMG_20180929_104650095.jpg

Thanks for the wisdom guys. It breaks my heart to do it but depending on circumstances, I may end up stripping what I can. I know I'l likely be kicking myself in the ass in the future about such and it disgusts me to think about doing it to "good old American iron" I just don't know if I'll have the room in my basement work shop nor do I know if i have it in me to take apart the door/wall to get it in there. If it was my forever home I would do it in a heart beat, but its my hope to be in a different state in a few years. I unfortunetly don't have a garage and my two sheds dont have power. I was able to get the boyer-shultz surface grinder home today so I atleast have something to stay busy cleaning/fixing up.
modify_inline.gif

20180929_122209.jpg (1566.37 kB, 2160x2160 - viewed 0 times.)

20180929_174549.jpg (1382.52 k

I'm not sure you could pick a Cinci#2 T&C with the regular cheapo 2T shop crane. I have one of those small shop cranes (it is very handy), and I have the same grinder you are looking at. The base is too wide to get the crane close and you need to pull the boom way in, thus losing most of the reach.

I was able to borrow a 2T gantry to lift it off the pick up truck.

A T&C grinder is a wonderful and very useful machine IF it is well dressed. Did you get a good selection of attachments?

Yea I used a hf 2 ton shop crane to take the surface grinder off the trailer. It was easy enough to pick up off the trailer not so much to put on the ground. I made out with two attachments that I'll post a picture of later as I'm not 100 percent certain what they are. I only paid $40 the the cincinatti so I'm already ahead financially but that's not why I originally bought it.

The attachments are probably worth more than the main machine. A stripped down T&C grinder is really not worth much (can't do much) - with a good selection of attachments, it is a very versatile & useful machine. Yes, pictures please.

Here is a picture of the attachments and also the two bigger items I won. As far as the attachments go, is the smallest one a wheel dresser? I have alot of work to do among all of them as far as cleaninf and de- rusting. I also ended up with a 50" starrett 254 which is in suprinsigly good shape except for the internals and base. It took all morning to get it unsiezed and ill put it in evaporust tonight after work.

20181002_115902.jpg

20181002_115911.jpg

20180929_122209.jpg

20181002_115216.jpg

Back