Dial indicator advice

Ken_NJ

Registered
Registered
I bought this Fowler dial indicator off of Amazon. First, seeing it in person, the numbers on the dial are small. Even in the pic below they don't look small. My eyes are not the greatest but I don't need glasses. Second, the revolution dial is not the same. The Amazon picture shows it as being one revolution per inch. The one I got is two revs per inch. The indicator itself looks the same as others, just rebranded with different names. And in the comments of a few of them they mention the same thing about the rev dial and not being the same as pictured.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5HIX7E?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Being new to this, and I being too picky? This Fowler one for $38 is in my price range. I'm not springing for something more expensive for starting out. After looking at others on Amazon, don't think I'm going to find one that fits my idea of what it should be. Thinking of returning it but wanted to ask for advice here first. I could try to go outside of Amazon to find what I want. Thoughts? And thank you from a newbie.

IMG_0855.jpeg

I see what you mean as far as the revolutions on the dial. It's still a nice indicator though so I'm not sure it is worth
taking issue with. I would keep it if it were my decision. How often are you indicating more than a half inch might
be the thing to consider. I use an Ames 1 inch depth indicator mostly on the lathe with a 4 jaw chuck to center stuff and
to be honest, I don't know if the little indicator on it makes two revolutions or not.

More info please. Like your desired range of measurement and what increments do you want? .001", .0005"? Fowler is a decent gauge, so if you can use that one you should be good.
If not, return it and get a refund. I think you're relatively close to Long Island Gauge Repair (?). If you're of a mind look them up, I imagine they have something that is described accurately and priced fairly.

Personally, I am not a fan of Fowler instruments. The one pictured on the Amazon listing is obviously not the one you got. As I understand it, they don't actually make the instruments themselves. They do the design work and subcontract the actual production. They also have a tendency to change models frequently making it difficult and expensive to find repair parts for many models.

Over the years I have acquired nearly 3 dozen dial and test indicators. All but the very first ones were bought used on eBay or from equipment dealers. I have several brands including Starrett, Mitutoyo, Interapid, and Federal and a few others. I have more Federals than any other brand. All of them are pre-Mahr and are excellent quality. They aren't nearly as expensive as some other brands but are equally accurate.

For some reason Long Island Indicator hates them. They talk about globs of solder and overall poor workmanship. However, there was a lengthy discussion on the Practical Machinists bulletin board about this brand some time ago. To a person the professionals liked them, and no one including myself has ever seen the conditions described by Long Island. I prefer those labeled "Mirical Movement" and "Fully Jeweled". Good used Federal indicators in the range you're looking for can be purchased on eBay for far less than the asking price of the Fowler. There are currently 779 listings for Federal indicators on eBay. They range in price from under $10.00 to well over $100.00. Keep in mind any item purchased on eBay with the description "new" or "used" has to be in operating condition and free of defects. You can return it if there are problems regardless of whether or not the seller accepts returns.

I personally have never had a problem with an inaccurate, or sticky indicator purchased on eBay.

That looks like a fine indicator, I'd go with the Fowler over the HF. It might be 2x the cost but its probably 4x better quality.
There are many places to buy tooling besides Amazon, here's a few:

And for everything:

I've never had a single issue with very low cost dial indicators from ebay or any other source. I have $8 ones that work perfectly.
I purchased a Fowler 1-2 inch micrometer 10 years ago from ENCO that had a thimble that was warped and rubbed making it useless. China is the manufacture for all these now.
Test indicators is where I've found better quality is needed, when down in the tenths and micron realm.

Put your money on a real NOGA mag base, that's where they go right where you want them and lock in quick.

HF..... not precision or quality...... of course

All good information. Thank you all. Please don't stop.

I have a Noga DG61003 on order. Should be here next week.

Last edited:
I would use it if I were you. Starting out, there's no need in buying high dollar stuff, yet! You don't have a way to compare it to a more accurate indicator so consider it a learning tool for now. When you do buy a quality indicator, check this one out to see how accurate it is. It may surprise you!

Back