Dial indicator advice

I’m very happy with the couple metrology items I’ve gotten from ideal precision!
Maybe more expensive than some good ebay deals, but their pros have gone over the items so you know it will be in correct working order etc. Waranty if not.
That’s worth a little extra $ to me.

Glad you found something you really like!

Tip does unscrew, you just need to hold the shaft to keep from damaging the mechanism:

View attachment 440637

There is also a small spring inside the shaft. [Edit: I looked at the diagram on my desktop - the spring is inside the case; was wondering what it was for, and believe it is to cushion the return travel of the shaft. I also annotated the exploded parts to better show the tip; there is a spare one used as a stop on the top of the shaft] The Assembly/Exploded diagram & parts list will help (you may need to create a Starrett account to view the page).

Didn't have to create an account. I really like their diagram view, very cool. Although couldn't figure if there was a zoom feature. Good to know the tip does come off. Seems to be on there pretty good. Will try again carefully.

Thank you all for your comments, most appreciated. Let me ask this everyone. I know each has their favorites. And I'm guessing most are made in China. What are DI's that are worthwhile to look at and what ones to stay away? I know this is subjective.

Good ones are from Starrett, Mitutoyo, and Federal from my experience. But I've been out of the trade for about 10-12 years, and things do change.

After another forum member posted they bought this chinese DTI after examining it in person.
I decided to get one as well. I can confirm that it feels extremely smooth. I can’t speak to overall accuracy, but it’s definitely nice. Plus, it’s cheap enough that I don’t have to worry so much about damaging it.

It came from a tool company with a business card etc. That was nice to see!

I will buy an old used but top name indicators at a yard sale, resale shop,
Craigs list ect..many of the retired guys sell off their tools and can be a great source for tools and tooling.

Didn't have to create an account. I really like their diagram view, very cool. Although couldn't figure if there was a zoom feature. Good to know the tip does come off. Seems to be on there pretty good. Will try again carefully.

I know, your first attempt is cautious. When I couldn’t get the remains of a ratchet out of a used Starrett micrometer, I asked my contact at tech support snd he told me to hold the thimble carefully but firmly using a rag or soft jaws in a vise and use more force than you think is necessary: broke loose and the replacement wax no problem. I suggest holding the shaft/stem in Urethane jaws and use soft jaw pliers to grasp the knurled tip:

CD16E685-5914-436A-8359-083EA9C72135.jpeg

Back