[4]

Dial Indicator Mount Studs

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have some beautiful BC Ames dial indicators that have a mount system that i had no way of attachment to my indicator stands

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

my other indicators have a lug back that is easy to attach to my indicator stands with a pin and knurled nut
like this...

IMG_3381.jpg

here is the mount stud and knurled nut installed on the lug back,
the stud was made by the stand manufacturer.

IMG_3382.jpg

i decided to copy the idea, sans the knurled nut, as it is not necessary for the finished parts.

i made a crude sketch of the indicator mount stud, i was to create....
:grin::grin:
IMG_3387.jpg

i turned a .625" hunk of unknownium to about .500" diameter
then turned one end to .307"
i flipped the part and turned the end to .250", then single point threaded the 1/4-20 tpi to .250" length
broke all the edges and tried a test fit !

it worked out beautifully, so i made a second one and gave it a test fit too!

IMG_3389.jpg

here is the indicator ready for duty!!!

IMG_3388.jpg

thanks for looking!

Last edited:

benmychree

John York
My first indicator as an apprentice was an Ames, as there was a auto parts store in Napa that stocked them; the indicator has gone to a (hopefully) better existence, but I still have some of the accessories from the kit that I bought. I have never seen a indicator back with that detail; does the contact point come off and have a tapped hole with the AGD 4 - 48 thread?

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
i'll check to see if the points come off, thanks :)

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
My first indicator as an apprentice was an Ames, as there was a auto parts store in Napa that stocked them; the indicator has gone to a (hopefully) better existence, but I still have some of the accessories from the kit that I bought. I have never seen a indicator back with that detail; does the contact point come off and have a tapped hole with the AGD 4 - 48 thread?
They are wonderfully crafted and have very nice spring force !

Yes, the contact tips are removable
Yes, they are 4-48 ! :grin:
i purchased a contact tip set, used(for cheap), a while back- i know where i can use them now :congratulate:

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
Unknownium ? Does that machine like Unobtainium ? :big grin: Nice looking work .

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Nice job Ulma Doctor on the Ames indicator mount. My experience was similar in that the tab on the back was continually coming loose.
To solve that, I made a mount that pinched on the stem and that has proved to be quite satisfactory. Here's a photo of what I did to mount my
Ames indicator.

P1020502.JPG

P1020500.JPG
I havn't graduated to a "Noga" yet. The tensioning handle on the magnetic base was made
from "propanetankium" or better known in the biological world as "Propanius scrappum".

Last edited:

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Good job Mike and good on you for getting it done. I have an assortment of indicators that didn't come with anything and it has been frustrating there is no one single mount that works on all of them. The three Starretts I found back lugs for on eBay and that helped somewhat. But the silly proprietary diameters and sometimes thread pitches is maddening. When I bought my old Starrett height gauge one the things that clinched the deal was a pile of assorted snugs. It's shocking how few work with anything I have. It never seems to come up in my memory when I have some time and could actually make something only when I'm in get er done mode and don't want to stop and make another tool, again.

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Unknownium ? Does that machine like Unobtainium ? :big grin: Nice looking work .
My dad (a real life rocket scientist) taught me about unobtanium back when I was a kid. It machines like butter and is harder than diamonds without further treatment from what I understand....

Never heard of unknownium but pretty sure I have some in a bucket around here somewhere.

Cheers,

John

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Nice job Ulma Doctor on the Ames indicator mount. My experience was similar in that the tab on the back was continually coming loose.
To solve that, I made a mount that pinched on the stem and that has proved to be quite satisfactory. Here's a photo of what I did to mount my
Ames indicator.
I havn't graduated to a "Noga" yet. The tensioning handle on the magnetic base was made
from "propanetankium" or better known in the biological world as "Propanius scrappum".
I love the use of the propanetankium/Propanius scrappum in the arrangement
you get an extra punch on the man card for that brother! :big grin:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Good job Mike and good on you for getting it done. I have an assortment of indicators that didn't come with anything and it has been frustrating there is no one single mount that works on all of them. The three Starretts I found back lugs for on eBay and that helped somewhat. But the silly proprietary diameters and sometimes thread pitches is maddening. When I bought my old Starrett height gauge one the things that clinched the deal was a pile of assorted snugs. It's shocking how few work with anything I have. It never seems to come up in my memory when I have some time and could actually make something only when I'm in get er done mode and don't want to stop and make another tool, again.
Thank you C-Bag!!! :grin:
it appears tool manufacturers are always making something proprietary or odd
(i remember some of Ford's better ideas when i wrenched on the wretched beasts)

i like the gettin' er done mode, but my shop gets to be a mess after!!!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
My dad (a real life rocket scientist) taught me about unobtanium back when I was a kid. It machines like butter and is harder than diamonds without further treatment from what I understand....

Never heard of unknownium but pretty sure I have some in a bucket around here somewhere.

Cheers,

John
:aok:
i love it!!!
great stuff , John :grin:
thanks for checking my thread out

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hi mmcmdl,
Surprisingly, unknownium is a bit softer than Unobtainium :grin big:
thank you very much!!!
I beg to differ with you, Sir. According to Federal Specification MTPLDD41 (Make The Part Like The Dam* Drawing For Once), the hardness and machinability of Unknownium are unpredictable and vary from lot to lot. You might well have run into some that was easy to machine. Any chance you can recall the heat number?

[5] [7]