Dial Indicator Mount Studs

Nice job Ulma Doctor on the Ames indicator mount. My experience was similar in that the tab on the back was continually coming loose.
To solve that, I made a mount that pinched on the stem and that has proved to be quite satisfactory. Here's a photo of what I did to mount my
Ames indicator.
I havn't graduated to a "Noga" yet. The tensioning handle on the magnetic base was made
from "propanetankium" or better known in the biological world as "Propanius scrappum".

I love the use of the propanetankium/Propanius scrappum in the arrangement
you get an extra punch on the man card for that brother! :big grin:

Good job Mike and good on you for getting it done. I have an assortment of indicators that didn't come with anything and it has been frustrating there is no one single mount that works on all of them. The three Starretts I found back lugs for on eBay and that helped somewhat. But the silly proprietary diameters and sometimes thread pitches is maddening. When I bought my old Starrett height gauge one the things that clinched the deal was a pile of assorted snugs. It's shocking how few work with anything I have. It never seems to come up in my memory when I have some time and could actually make something only when I'm in get er done mode and don't want to stop and make another tool, again.
Thank you C-Bag!!! :grin:
it appears tool manufacturers are always making something proprietary or odd
(i remember some of Ford's better ideas when i wrenched on the wretched beasts)

i like the gettin' er done mode, but my shop gets to be a mess after!!!

My dad (a real life rocket scientist) taught me about unobtanium back when I was a kid. It machines like butter and is harder than diamonds without further treatment from what I understand....

Never heard of unknownium but pretty sure I have some in a bucket around here somewhere.

Cheers,

John
:aok:
i love it!!!
great stuff , John :grin:
thanks for checking my thread out

Hi mmcmdl,
Surprisingly, unknownium is a bit softer than Unobtainium :grin big:
thank you very much!!!
I beg to differ with you, Sir. According to Federal Specification MTPLDD41 (Make The Part Like The Dam* Drawing For Once), the hardness and machinability of Unknownium are unpredictable and vary from lot to lot. You might well have run into some that was easy to machine. Any chance you can recall the heat number?

Back