[4]

Dial Indicator???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Guys finally I have come to the conclusion that I need a decent dial indicator magnetic base.I am looking at this cause someone or several members here saying awhile back that this is a good one for the money.Yes my pockets are shallow,very much so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Noga-DG105...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I would like to also get myself a test indicator?That has the little dovetails for clamping,that has the little ball on it,what would you suggest for this magnetic base?

Cooter Brown

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Don't hesitate you will never regret it..... noga makes great holders...

I have a brown & sharpe bestest .0005 jewled test indicator.... but a mitutoyo will probably cost a little less...

Last edited:

BtoVin83

Registered
What about this?
[AT 1543537139535.png TACH=full]281061[/ATTACH]

SubtleHustle

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
What about this?
[AT View attachment 281062 TACH=full]281061[/ATTACH]
I actually bought this one. I wouldn't buy it again. It's about as rigid as a castle of cards. I can not even adjust the dial, and keep the same reading on it. But I'm sure someone else would disagree. Personally, if I had to buy another one now, I'd probably save up a little more, and she'll out for a mitutoyo. And I just might...

whitmore

Registered
Oh, yeah, I got one of those a few years back, or its twin. The rods are a nuisance to orient and set (that Noga one-knob
item looks VERY attractive after trying to use this one). The indicator body is made of some kind of pot
metal (zinc) that generates dust; it started to jam, and needed dust wiped out, and the shaft bushing flushed with
liquid metal polish, rinsed with isopropyl alcohol, to rejuvenate. It DOES work well enough to improve my fence-adjusting
on the tablesaw, though. The magnet base is OK, so far.

ttabbal

I love my Noga holder. I got the version with the fine adjust on the base and it has worked great for me.

It's usually got a Shars half thou in it, but I have a Compac tenths test indicator when I need more accuracy.

I have the harbor freight version of the 2-bar holder. The magnet is going to hold a mister. The bars are pretty useless. Way too much flex. I think I turned one of them into a useful part for another project on the lathe... :)

ThinWoodsman

Registered
I limped along with those cheapo $20 magnetic holders until I finally got fed up and purchased a Noga NF61003.

Night and day difference. The Noga is solid - pictures do not do it justice. It's like moving from a benchtop to a knee mill.

vocatexas

Registered
I bought two Noga knock-offs a couple of months back. They work great, but now that I know how well they work, the next one will be a true Noga.

Technical Ted

I have a Noga base and love it. I suggest you check around and see if you can find a better price. Many vendors will have sales on them.

I have gotten a couple of nice test indicators from eBay that were used, so don't overlook them. At times, there are some good, solid name brands on eBay, used, that can be had for a decent price.

Good luck,
Ted

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I have had a Noga DG10533 for quite a few years and find it ideal in my hobbyist shop with 13x40 lathe, Millrite mill, 6x18 surface grinder, and for metrology work for scraping and other testing. It is everything the others are not. The only better ones are hand made by their users. Like this one:
Well worth a watch to find out the issues, yes issues, with Noga holders, and to explain as well as build a holder that is better than any off the shelf. Robin Renzetti is the original designer of this style indicator stand. Hope you enjoy.

mikey

Active User
I have 3 Noga stands and really like them all. However, they are not the be all and end all for everything. I find when checking a spindle's concentricity with a tenths indicator, the old style two arm stand that everyone disses is more rigid when properly configured. Mine is a Mitutoyo and is really solid. Maybe not of the quality of Robin's or Stefan's but functional. I also have a nice mini-Murkens stand and I really like that one.

Kroll, if I could only have one DTI in my shop, it would be a Compac 214GA, a 0.0005" indicator. Tough, very accurate, reliable, repeatable and still available new. I own Interapid, Mitutoyo and Browne & Sharpe DTI's, too, but the Compac is the best of them all. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005007IA0/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Bob Korves

I also have a very solid Mitutoyo 7010S indicator stand. This thing is STOUT. 132 pound magnet pull, 12mm main post, 10mm second arm, heavy duty indicator clamps and mount. It is HEAVY. It is STIFF. It STAYS PUT. It is the perfect choice for heavy indicating work. I was lucky enough to get mine for $20 in like new condition at an online auction.
1543552246380.png

francist

Active User
I think the downfall of the inexpensive 2-arm stands is the so-called fine adjustment in the one arm. It's anything but reliable, and is too spongy to do anything of value. I just strip the spring adjust off and use the two rigid arms as they are for short reach application.

Noga also makes a nice and robust straight arm version. Can't recall the number off hand, but it's quite beefy. The three-toed grip takes a bit of getting used to but it has a very silky motion to it. And one thing I have really become spoiled by is the fine adjust on the base, I don't think I would consider a base without one anymore.

-frank

image.jpeg

ttabbal

I suspect my hate for the 2-arm is 1) HF, so you know how that goes.. 2) the springy bit in the middle. It would probably be alright if I took that bit out. I got it a long time ago before I knew they aren't good and figured it out the hard way. Thankfully, not much lost from the tool budget at least. And they are cheap enough that even if I toss the bars, the magnets are a decent price for the type you can turn on/off and they aren't terrible.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
Heresy alert. I really don't like Starrett magnets, I much prefer my $25 Tedclock indicator and magnet clone. I have a Nioga clone, but I usually use the first one I find in the drawer.

ThinWoodsman

Registered
And they are cheap enough that even if I toss the bars, the magnets are a decent price for the type you can turn on/off and they aren't terrible.
I used mine to hold a piece of plexiglass that I use as a chip-shield for the benchtop lathe and mill. Actually like it well enough that I bought another of the cheapest base I could find (something like ten ot twelve bucks) to make a second shield.

projectnut

Registered
I may be a bit old school, but I still like and use this style magnetic base:

https://www.shars.com/products/meas...35-lbs-magnetic-base-with-fine-adjustment-arm

I probably have a dozen or so around the shop. Some are Starrett, some are Mitutoyo, and others are el cheapos from Shars. I also have a couple Noga's, but the go to ones always seem to be this style. The cheapos from Shars seem to work as well as the more expensive Starrett's and Mitutoyo's. If a name brand makes you feel better about owning it go for it, but if all you're looking for is a solid base any of them are more than capable of doing the job.

As far as test indicators are concerned, I prefer the Brown & Sharpe. Again I have Starrett's, Mitutoyo's B&S. Most are .0005", with a couple of the Starrett's and one B&S being 0001". The B&S .0001 gets more use than all the others put together.

Kroll

Active User
Bob that is a neat video I enjoy watching it and dream about making my own.
T Ted any ideals where I should check,I did google which it kinda looks like Amazon is about the same as ebay.I did put it in my amazon cart just in case it should go on sale this month:)

P. Waller

What exactly do you measure?
No pun intended of course.

Kroll

Active User
P Waller I'm a newbie,right now I am putting my mill together and installing a DRO.So the first project for this Noga will be to get the scales right on the money,I hope.I also will be using it get parts lined up in my ACCU chuck.And once I get the mill going I will use it to get the head perfect in both directions.Then from there,I don't know since I lack the experience to know what I am getting myself into.I have made some knob things like that but really nothing that has to fit.

Technical Ted

T Ted any ideals where I should check,I did google which it kinda looks like Amazon is about the same as ebay.I did put it in my amazon cart just in case it should go on sale this month:)
I just looked quickly through the sales flyers I have on my desk and the only one I found was the model DG61003 for less money ($82.84). Today is the last day for their Cyber Week free shipping on web orders too. Note that you'll have to search for part number 1-457-909 to see this sale price since it is only listed in their sales flyer and only available on line using this number.

Don't know if this model is similar to the one you want or not so you'll need to check out the specs on it.

Edit: This is at KBC tools.

Ted

Last edited:

P. Waller

Mill work will mostly require indicator holders that fit in the spindle rather then on the table itself.

Get yourself some attachments that are spindle mounted, these are simple round bars and articulated arms that fit in a tool holder, chuck or collet and a sliding indicator holder. Virtually all if the mill work that you will ever do involves holding an indicator in the spindle to align the work. This is where the tool center is located. You will find a nonmagnetic base with enough surface area and weight to hold an indicator more useful then a magnetic holder.

Lathe work is different because the work is held in the spindle rather then the tool and requires long reach holders that attach to the machine, magnetic bases work well for this.
As far a tools go I recently bought a very large Noga magnetic base and arm assembly that seems reasonably robust and well made, how long it will hold up in a busy job shop remains to be seen, about $170.00 without an indicator. I normally use a 3" dial Mitutoyo drop indicator with it but it will also hold dovetails. The indicator is about $150.00 but the 3" dial size is well worth it if you do large work.

Have had excellent experiences with Mitutoyo lever indicators (DTI?), the first one that I bought in 1994 did not fail until this year, they are robust and not terribly expensive and the tool that you will use the most in mill work

BROCKWOOD

I use a Yuasa mag base & indicator from the 80s. Recently I bought a couple of the kits from All Industrial. They are cheap - but I have also begun a nice collection of vintage Federal indicators. So the cheap indicators can stay in the box & the cheap mag bases are good enough for me (a beginner) to maintain repeatability with one of the Federals attached.

IMG_20180617_153244440.jpg

IMG_20181201_063044296.jpg

[6]
[5] [7]