Dial Indicator???

I have 3 Noga stands and really like them all. However, they are not the be all and end all for everything. I find when checking a spindle's concentricity with a tenths indicator, the old style two arm stand that everyone disses is more rigid when properly configured. Mine is a Mitutoyo and is really solid. Maybe not of the quality of Robin's or Stefan's but functional. I also have a nice mini-Murkens stand and I really like that one.

Kroll, if I could only have one DTI in my shop, it would be a Compac 214GA, a 0.0005" indicator. Tough, very accurate, reliable, repeatable and still available new. I own Interapid, Mitutoyo and Browne & Sharpe DTI's, too, but the Compac is the best of them all. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005007IA0/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

I also have a very solid Mitutoyo 7010S indicator stand. This thing is STOUT. 132 pound magnet pull, 12mm main post, 10mm second arm, heavy duty indicator clamps and mount. It is HEAVY. It is STIFF. It STAYS PUT. It is the perfect choice for heavy indicating work. I was lucky enough to get mine for $20 in like new condition at an online auction.
1543552246380.png

I think the downfall of the inexpensive 2-arm stands is the so-called fine adjustment in the one arm. It's anything but reliable, and is too spongy to do anything of value. I just strip the spring adjust off and use the two rigid arms as they are for short reach application.

Noga also makes a nice and robust straight arm version. Can't recall the number off hand, but it's quite beefy. The three-toed grip takes a bit of getting used to but it has a very silky motion to it. And one thing I have really become spoiled by is the fine adjust on the base, I don't think I would consider a base without one anymore.

-frank

image.jpeg

I suspect my hate for the 2-arm is 1) HF, so you know how that goes.. 2) the springy bit in the middle. It would probably be alright if I took that bit out. I got it a long time ago before I knew they aren't good and figured it out the hard way. Thankfully, not much lost from the tool budget at least. And they are cheap enough that even if I toss the bars, the magnets are a decent price for the type you can turn on/off and they aren't terrible.

Heresy alert. I really don't like Starrett magnets, I much prefer my $25 Tedclock indicator and magnet clone. I have a Nioga clone, but I usually use the first one I find in the drawer.

And they are cheap enough that even if I toss the bars, the magnets are a decent price for the type you can turn on/off and they aren't terrible.

I used mine to hold a piece of plexiglass that I use as a chip-shield for the benchtop lathe and mill. Actually like it well enough that I bought another of the cheapest base I could find (something like ten ot twelve bucks) to make a second shield.

I may be a bit old school, but I still like and use this style magnetic base:

https://www.shars.com/products/meas...35-lbs-magnetic-base-with-fine-adjustment-arm

I probably have a dozen or so around the shop. Some are Starrett, some are Mitutoyo, and others are el cheapos from Shars. I also have a couple Noga's, but the go to ones always seem to be this style. The cheapos from Shars seem to work as well as the more expensive Starrett's and Mitutoyo's. If a name brand makes you feel better about owning it go for it, but if all you're looking for is a solid base any of them are more than capable of doing the job.

As far as test indicators are concerned, I prefer the Brown & Sharpe. Again I have Starrett's, Mitutoyo's B&S. Most are .0005", with a couple of the Starrett's and one B&S being 0001". The B&S .0001 gets more use than all the others put together.

Bob that is a neat video I enjoy watching it and dream about making my own.
T Ted any ideals where I should check,I did google which it kinda looks like Amazon is about the same as ebay.I did put it in my amazon cart just in case it should go on sale this month:)

Back