Dial Indicator???

P Waller I'm a newbie,right now I am putting my mill together and installing a DRO.So the first project for this Noga will be to get the scales right on the money,I hope.I also will be using it get parts lined up in my ACCU chuck.And once I get the mill going I will use it to get the head perfect in both directions.Then from there,I don't know since I lack the experience to know what I am getting myself into.I have made some knob things like that but really nothing that has to fit.

T Ted any ideals where I should check,I did google which it kinda looks like Amazon is about the same as ebay.I did put it in my amazon cart just in case it should go on sale this month:)

I just looked quickly through the sales flyers I have on my desk and the only one I found was the model DG61003 for less money ($82.84). Today is the last day for their Cyber Week free shipping on web orders too. Note that you'll have to search for part number 1-457-909 to see this sale price since it is only listed in their sales flyer and only available on line using this number.

Don't know if this model is similar to the one you want or not so you'll need to check out the specs on it.

Edit: This is at KBC tools.

Ted

Last edited:
Mill work will mostly require indicator holders that fit in the spindle rather then on the table itself.

Get yourself some attachments that are spindle mounted, these are simple round bars and articulated arms that fit in a tool holder, chuck or collet and a sliding indicator holder. Virtually all if the mill work that you will ever do involves holding an indicator in the spindle to align the work. This is where the tool center is located. You will find a nonmagnetic base with enough surface area and weight to hold an indicator more useful then a magnetic holder.

Lathe work is different because the work is held in the spindle rather then the tool and requires long reach holders that attach to the machine, magnetic bases work well for this.
As far a tools go I recently bought a very large Noga magnetic base and arm assembly that seems reasonably robust and well made, how long it will hold up in a busy job shop remains to be seen, about $170.00 without an indicator. I normally use a 3" dial Mitutoyo drop indicator with it but it will also hold dovetails. The indicator is about $150.00 but the 3" dial size is well worth it if you do large work.

Have had excellent experiences with Mitutoyo lever indicators (DTI?), the first one that I bought in 1994 did not fail until this year, they are robust and not terribly expensive and the tool that you will use the most in mill work

I use a Yuasa mag base & indicator from the 80s. Recently I bought a couple of the kits from All Industrial. They are cheap - but I have also begun a nice collection of vintage Federal indicators. So the cheap indicators can stay in the box & the cheap mag bases are good enough for me (a beginner) to maintain repeatability with one of the Federals attached.

IMG_20180617_153244440.jpg

IMG_20181201_063044296.jpg

Back