Dial Indicators with Dovetail mounts?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not looking for a DTI, but a dial indicator with a dovetail on the back. Are there such beasts? I've been looking but haven't found one. IMO the lug back mount isn't that sturdy but I'm used to using my DTI with a dovetail with my Nogaflex arm. I know a lot, if not most?, machinists use magmounts like the Mighty Mag. I guess the magnet doesn't affect the indicator. Anyway, so does someone here know of a good indicator with a dovetail mount? Thanks.

All the Shars brands have dovetails on the back and top. I like e'm enough to own 6 of them. Some I've had for 4+ years and they're going strong...

http://www.shars.com/products/view/1967/008quot_Dial_Test_Indicator_0001quot

Ray

Not looking for a DTI, but a dial indicator with a dovetail on the back. Are there such beasts? I've been looking but haven't found one. IMO the lug back mount isn't that sturdy but I'm used to using my DTI with a dovetail with my Nogaflex arm. I know a lot, if not most?, machinists use magmounts like the Mighty Mag. I guess the magnet doesn't affect the indicator. Anyway, so does someone here know of a good indicator with a dovetail mount? Thanks.

Thanks Ray, but I'm talking about dial indicators (or drop indicators), not dial test indicators (DTI).

just search for" dial indicator with dovetail mount" on ebay and there is a set for about $20

Thanks Dave, but again, those are all dial test indicators.

Ron, I'll check into them. Thank you!

Mitutoyo makes (or made) dial indicators with dovetail mounts on the side. I don't know the model numbers though.

Standard Gage made a very small dial indicator with a dovetail running the length of its back. I don't know anything more about this company though. The gage is at the bottom with an Interapid DTI with a 1.5" diameter dial on top.

PC102162Large.jpg

PC102162Large.jpg

Thanks guys. I had totally forgotten that my NogaFlex arm has a round mount right behind the dovetail mount. By the looks of it it'll fit the stem right underneath the dial face of an indicator. So that's what that hole's for! :eek:

In my opinion a dove tail indicator mount is for test indicators only and is not strong enough for a dial indicator, too heavy.
The lug back w/stem works fine. Just make sure the stem is tight.
But one great thing about being a machinist is that very few things can only be done one way.

Back