Dial Indicators

David, that is a nice collection of Noga indicator stands and indicators, the only stand I haven't got yet is the MA6103 you have pictured there, one day.

The front stand has a B&S black face 1" indicator does it not? The 4th one back looks like a Fowler, not sure of the make of the other one with the while face or the 3rd, 5th and 6th ones from the front, can you please enlighten us?

David, that is a nice collection of Noga indicator stands and indicators, the only stand I haven't got yet is the MA6103 you have pictured there, one day.

The front stand has a B&S black face 1" indicator does it not? The 4th one back looks like a Fowler, not sure of the make of the other one with the while face or the 3rd, 5th and 6th ones from the front, can you please enlighten us?
Per your request. Coded to the photo below. Most of the high quality units I have acquired as used or New Old Stock, then had them serviced by MRToolRepair.

1 - Interapid 312B-1 0.005" DTI - Most frequently used DTI in my shop - seems to be bomb proof
2 - Compac 225GA Vertical 0.0001" - Used mostly on indicator stand with surface plate
3 - Mitutoyo 513-401 0.0001" - Lives on my lathe spider as TIR indicator
4 - Compac 213LA 0.0005" - Used primarily on lathe for live boring ID indication
A - Brown & Sharp MB216 0.001" - My favorite drop-style general purpose indicator
B - Starrett 25-511 0.0001" - This is NOT a quality instrument IMO
C - SPI 24-300-6 0.001" - general-purpose use
D - Mitutoyo 4802-10 Large dial 0.0001" - Absolutely invaluable in calibrating the Haimer and Tschorn 3D edge finders. Thanks to @Jake P
E - Marked Fowler on back - Chinese clone 0.001" - I have 5 of these for woodworking applications, and consider them "throw-aways"
F - NoName (Chinese) 3" stroke 0.001" - Used on the lathe for gross centering of parts in the 4-Jaw.

I have a few others similar to F with magnetic backs (NoName units) for use on the lathe for carriage/compound live travel indication.

Indicators w Remarks.jpg

Thanks David, I have a 2” version of A shown above but it has a large face, it’s one of my favourites when more than 1” travel is needed.
Why do you consider the Starrett not to be a quality indicator?

Thanks David, I have a 2” version of A shown above but it has a large face, it’s one of my favourites when more than 1” travel is needed.
Why do you consider the Starrett not to be a quality indicator?
Build quality is poor IMO. Service technician also remarked that Starrett indicators are not high quality in comparison to the Swiss or German alternatives.

Thanks David, I have a few Starrett dial indicators and have found they work very accurately, I’ve tested them on a surface plate with gauge blocks, the nicest one I have is a 656 series, 0.0001” x 0.4” travel. It I cant comment re build quality.
Long Island indicator services make a similar comment about the Starrett test indicator.

Some of the german and Swiss indicators are excellent, Long Island Indicator services books are well worth reading.

Starrett dial indicators are usually quite durable, and accurate. Cannot really comment on build quality, I haven't had the need to take any apart, but the action has always been smooth and they are good daily drivers if you can get them at the right price. I have their 25-511 and 611 and picked them up for ~$75 each in like new condition. I like that they provide 0.0001" resolution over a 0.2" travel. My go to indicator for high resolution is still my Compac DTIs. In general, older models may have been better built then newer versions. Many of the older models like Compac, Alina, etc. were built like their watches, but these days they are becoming harder to find at a reasonable cost, are often heavily used and parts are no longer available/repairable.

I agree with you Mark, since most of my Starrett are metric I have had some exceptional deals, I just picked up a 709M on offer for what I would call exceptional.
My first Compac indicator came with a Starrett last word 0.0001 test indicator, back then the Starrett, which I was bidding on cost me $45 and included with it was a Compac 213. needless to say the Compac I've still got and the Starrett got replaced with another Compac.
At present if I see a Compac at a reasonable price in good condition I'm very tempted to buy it.

Last edited:
You guys are classic conformation bias twins. :p

Back