Dial test indicator on a mill question.

The Indicol allows for the vertical indicator face with any standard test indicator. It takes 2 seconds to align the indicator to the spindle on only one round axis.

I totally get what you are trying to do. I just like the Indicol set up like in the picture better than anything I've tried so far. No more chasing the indicator face around the machine. I'm too old for that...lol!

Maybe you can do a variation of your holder with an arm that hold a standard dti the same way as my Indicol?
Thanks for the comment, I intend to show some images and probably a video using a vertical face indicator which can be seen all around.
Glad to see you using a pivoting spigot indicator, why use anything else. :) I should demonstrate the benefits of one simply mounted in a chuck in the video too.

Thanks for the comment, I intend to show some images and probably a video using a vertical face indicator which can be seen all around.
Glad to see you using a pivoting spigot indicator, why use anything else. :) I should demonstrate the benefits of one simply mounted in a chuck in the video too.
I just got this Interapid 312b-1v in today. The set up shows why I like the Indicol copy of this type of holder with the vertical face indicator.

Most of the time, when I'm done, I pull whatever cutter I used last out of the spindle and put it away. Sometimes I'll leave the drill chuck in.

Of the two set-ups I posted in this thread I'll grab whichever one I can use with the least cranking on the Z height.

If I'm using an endmill the standard Indiciol is much shorter the way I keep it set up so less cranking.

If I just pulled the drill chuck and the height works out the rounded Indicol with vertical face is easier to use.

20220707_185753.jpg20220707_185748.jpg20220707_185741.jpg

The vertical face indicators are definitely the way to go especially with the pivoting spigot. I'll be replacing the spigot on mine with a slightly longer hexagonal one to use with it almost vertical, keeping the dial horizontal. It should then still fit directly into a chuck or in one of my holders. Thanks for the images they help to describe the thread.

What is the usual maximum swing needed for general Bridgeport work? My Bridgeport has a 9" wide bed so I need a 4.5" swing on my dti. I rarely have the need to swing longer than this.
I am still refining the dti holder which for everyday use could have a maximum 4.5" swing.
The core objectives are:
Simple
Robust
Minimum number of joints

It won't have the facility to find the centre of a 2 foot diameter bore and won't pretend to do so.
It will be for everyday use within these normal confines.
It will be as small as possible - increasing rigidity.
It will always guarantee the stylus is aligned with the machine spindle.
It won't always allow the face to be seen from the front - however as we know, 3 points on a bore will show the centre. I won't sacrifice the integrity to allow viewing from the back, after all it is only the last check on a bore - just because..

Sounds like you're trying to rebuild a wheel . :grin:

the least cranking on the Z height.
I got really tired of cranking that heavy table . Finally installed a powered Z. Best thing I've done to my 9x49 mill. Now I'm considering how to add remote controlled locks on the knee. Necessary? No. But there is a slight movement in the Y direction when the knee is locked. Gibs are as snug as I want.

Quick release compact spindle mount for dti. Range from zero to 140mm diameter. Max swing 80mm for tramming head.

Last edited:
Quick release compact spindle mount for dti. Range from zero to 140mm diameter. Max swing 80mm for tramming head.

I would buy one!
Brian

finding the centre of a small hole on a mill
I use a crude method. Put a gage pin, that matches the hole, in the drill chuck. Move table until pin will enter hole. DRO to ABS = zero. Also save as INC, just incase I screwup and lose ABS. This method has at least two flaws. The drill chuck probably has some error and the fit of the gage pin may not be a perfect match. My gage pins are + .0000, minus .0002 by .001 increments. Good chuck but not perfect and the fit of an R8 arbor is never perfect. Good enough for a hobby hack.

Back