Dial test indicator question

turner421

Registered
Registered
I am looking to buy a dial test indicator with like a 2” tip. I was looking at interapid, but got to thinking. Could I just buy a 2” tip for the shars indicator I already have? Or could changing the tip mess it up?

Changing the tip will change the sensitivity of th indicator. Test indicator actually measure an arc. Increasing the tip length will decrease the senitivity proportionlly. Foer example, changing from a 1" tip to a 2" tip on a .0005"/div. test indicator will change the reading to .001"/div. Aside from that, no issues with changing the tip length.

Do a search for a Brown & Sharpe Bestest 7035-5 test indicator. It is .0005" per division, has a 1.5" long tip, 1.5" black face dial, and are out there at good pricing. Very high quality, made in Switzerland. I have one, not for sale! 2" tip is getting pretty long, no help for you at that length...

Do you use a lever indicator for measuring linear distance or comparative measurements?

Both, depending on what you are measuring. I use one on a height gauge to measure comparative across a surface, I use the same indicator when measuring lathe way wear with my home made king way alignment tool

Back