Diamond dresser holder for bench grinder

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Had some fun this raining, foggy Sunday afternoon making a diamond dresser holder for my bench grinder. My Dayton grinder was one of my first purchases over 40 years ago when I first started in my home machine shop equipment. Even with the two Harold Hall grinding rests and dedicated bench grinder for using those I still use this grinder for 95% of my tool/drill sharpening. I have a regular AO wheel on the left side and a green wheel for carbide on the right (this was a recent upgrade). I mounted it on a pedestal for convenience when I first bought it. In the past, I have always just dressed the wheels with some type of hand held dresser.

Well, I recently picked up a couple more single point diamond dressers in some stuff I got from Craigslist and decided to make a dedicated bench grinder dresser with one of them. You can do so much of a better job with a dresser of this type than the hand held type... really makes the grinder run much smoother.

It's a pretty simple, quick project, but it sure does a nice job!

Ted

IMG_20181007_162045.jpgIMG_20181007_162517.jpgIMG_20181007_162123.jpgIMG_20181007_162142.jpgIMG_20181007_162244.jpgMVIMG_20181007_162159.jpg

I like that one. May I ask, why did you angle the guide surface?

I typically see a 15 degree angle recommended for surface grinder wheel dressers, but I compromised with 10 degree on this one because it just seemed to better fit the overall size of the holder. The angle is so you don't just end up with a big flat spot on the end of your diamond after a lot of dressings. It keeps it to more of a point for finer dressing and I would assume helps your diamond last longer as a result.

Ted

Back