Diamond Dresser

It is.
N8ZG is my Amateur Radio call.
The RV-7 is in year 12 of a two-year plan...

It is.
N8ZG is my Amateur Radio call.
The RV-7 is in year 12 of a two-year plan...
Two year plans have a way of doing that... When I saw transponder and encoder serial numbers I thought it was flying...

I do not have a tool for dressing the stones - didn't need such a thing before I bought a lathe.
Of course you did, you just didn't know it. I just wanted to add a twist to your comment. :) Wheels should always be dressed and grinding should be done in a manner that requires minimum dressing. The first reason is safety. Gouged out, uneven wheels do fly apart, especially the cheaper brands. It's also a good safety practice to stand aside until your grinder comes up to speed, no matter what the wheel quality is.

Cutter tool grinding placed a degree of importance on the grinding wheel that comes with specific parameters. I have a general purpose wheel I change out with a higher quality and finer grit. I do the rough cutting with a course wheel and then move to a finer grit for the finish, then hone for the final.

One thing I don't see mentioned is the location of your grinder to your machine equipment. This is one thing that fits into my "Cardinal Sin" category.

I'll add; You can dress the wheel in the same manner in which it came to the condition to need dressing, without a wheel dressing tool. Just use a hard tough metal and something soft alternate between the two. When time is money use the dressing tool. I see you already mentioned dust collection. Using the full face, along with the conscience effort to do so will become a habit.

A bit of necroposting here -- will a dresser be needed for a new wheel, one that hasn't been abused?
Many thanks,
Tim

When you mount a new wheel there will be some run out. Dressing can help true it up for better performance.

Ted

new wheel, one that hasn't been abused?

Interesting concept :), any new wheel should be tested for ring before mounting it.
When mounting it, try to get as little run out as possible (there is usually some clearance in the bore of the wheel). Once mounted, it should be dressed as Ted mentioned.

for an inexpensive excellent wheel dresser every machinist can make easily----just find an old diamond grit circular saw blade that still has some diamond grit on the sides----with your cut-off blade on your angle grinder cut a section of the diamond blade approx 2-3 inches wide angled to center hole like a slice of pie---then cut it so it is approx 2 1/2 " deep---enough to hold with both hands at an angle so you are dressing with the flat side----most old diamond saw blades have the diamonds on the outer edge worn off, but you don't dress with them so it doesn't matter----you can make many out of an old blade and I drill a hole in each piece so I can hang one on each grinder-----take your time on trying them out and you will be able to fine dress a wheel professionally.---Dave

ha, looks like I got it! thanks

Back