[Source] Diamond Sharpening Wheel - Biax Scraper and Flaker.

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey everybody, quick question. Just picked up a Biax 7ELM power scraper and a HM-10 power flaker. For sharpening the carbide blades I have the right machine, just not sure what diamond wheel to use and where to buy it. According to some of the “pro’s” on Youtube I should get 600 grit but aside from that, I am stumped; unless I want to pay like $350 for it. I get the irony of me complaining about the cost of the sharpening wheel compared to the cost of the machines. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the wheel have to be diamond? Import CBN is a tenth the cost, and is fine for the home shop.

Can CBN be used to sharpen/lap carbide. If so then yes..... I will consult the great and powerful “Google” to see what it says about using CBN. Thanks for a “boot” in the right direction.

Looks like CBN will do it, but will “compromise the CBN wheel such that doing so would make it economically unwise”.

If you're doing touch ups on your tools, and not a lot of inventory would CBN last? If you are going to do a lot of sharpening then it looks like you might have a temporary limp in the back pocket. :)

In his Deckel clone video, Stefan Goetteswinter jokes about abusing his Asian CBN wheel. Normally, I wouldn't want to abuse any of my equipment, but I decided to treat my CBN wheel rough (pun definitely intended) by grinding hot and heavy, on any material that I happened to need to take to the wheel. I cannot tell a difference, visually or in performance, on the wheel. It's not premium, so it's CBN percentage is probably low with the balance made up in binders and fillers, it certainly works a little slower and hotter than that $250 wheel, But I use it to sharpen carbide, and it works. That's my experience, anyway. My tools are sharp, and the wheels are cheap.

I would never make such a rash recommendation about grinding stones. Those I get snobbish about, but for different reasons.

It's the final finish that's important. Shaping or sharpen on a 300 diamond and lap by hand or slow turning 1200 diamond. There are many examples of where people have made the slow turning lap for not much. It is important that the final finish is lapped or the work will show a scratched finish. I use the same import diamond wheel that I sharpen my carbide lathe tools on . Then finish with a an old Leonard Lapping machine.

Back