Diamond Victory Milling Machine

Boston Gear, makes gears and gear assemblies. They possibly could have been the manufacturer of the head, or simply a parts supplier.

As far as oil or grease you might want to ask that in the general area. I don't know how many people will look at this sub forum. There have been a lot of old machines packed with grease that should have been using oil, but there are parts that use grease so hard to say without a manual.

The other benefit to posting some good pics of the head in general is if it is something used by another brand of mill maybe somebody will recognize it, I think in the thread somebody posted about the Craiglist ad somebody thought it resembled a Van Norman milling head.

If you paid less than the $1000 asking price and everything seems to work, you probably did well if you want a small mill. These are in the same general class as the small Benchmaster, Atlas and Burke mills which often sell for more than $1000. These mills may not be as well known, but they appear to be well built.

There is another member on the site who is in the South Bay that also has a Diamond horizontal mills, with I think a Rotex vertical head.

Last edited:
Thank you Aaron_W for pointing me in the right direction. I downloaded the Boston Gear catalog and they have some part numbers very similar to L 153 the difference being letters other than B at the end. Tomorrow I'll try to see if the specifications are the same. Furthermore on page 322 of the catalog there are recommendations for lubrication and it looks like EP lubricants SAE 80 or 90 gear oil is used for splash lubricated gears. Also, Moly-Disulphide grease can be used for low speed it says. I will try calling them tomorrow. In addition I'll post in the general section to see if anyone recognizes the vertical milling attachment.

As I see it, this is a direct connection from spindle to attachment the standard set up. I can't even figure out what the problem is (((strange

Hi I have the Diamond M-20 with a motorized 1/3 hp Rotex head. I don't know the vintage of mine, maybe late 40s? You have a very rare machine I think. Some were equipped with a chain drive to the spindle for bone-crushing spindle power but very few had the 6 sheaf pulley like yours. Good score! The more you use your mill the more you will like it; they make great hobby machines. The horizontal spindle taper is B&S #9. Little Machine Shop has those collets.
I like mine, it's heavily built and blows away the Chinese mill/drills in terms of rigidity. A bit limited on the vertical travel but overall a nice compromise of size and versatility. I have the arbor support and 1" arbor but haven't gotten around to using them yet; I just bought a few cutters for it recently.
Mainly I use the Rotex for vertical milling jobs and occasionally an endmill or flycutter in the horizontal spindle- like a vertical mill on it's side.
-Mark

Attachments

• 1107161437-00.jpg
    1107161437-00.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 0911161101-00.jpg
    0911161101-00.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
markaba633csi,

Thank you for the information and pictures. That Rotex head seems like a better way to go than an attachment like mine which is offset to the original spindle center line.

I put grease in the milling attachment and that seems to be working good. Also picked up a nice Atlas vise and South Bend collet set. Looking forward to making some test cuts. Once the mill is working good with the two speeds it has now I'll look into using the original 6 step pulley and being able to use all 12 speeds.

Back