Diamond Wheel dressers

Brento

Registered
Registered
Is there anything you can do with diamond wheel dressers besides dress wheels? I have 23 used ones i got in a auction lot and im not sure what to do with them. I dont have a surface grinder yet so i know i can keep them until then but can you do anything with them besides that?

Dressing grinding wheels is what they do best. :) I've never used one for anything else. I have always wondered if it would be possible to do some finish turning with them, but have never tried it.

I have used them to dress both my bench grinder and carbide grinder green wheels.

Ill have to try it onmy dads bench grinder to straighten it out for him.

It takes a steady hand, and if possible a fixture to hold them as they work across the wheel. (Fixture to slide on the steady rest. )

Ill give it a try and see how it goes if not ill make a block or something for him when i got my shop running some of the tips are really rounded and some have a nice sharp edge to em.

Is there anything you can do with diamond wheel dressers besides dress wheels? I have 23 used ones i got in a auction lot and im not sure what to do with them. I dont have a surface grinder yet so i know i can keep them until then but can you do anything with them besides that?
You could always send them (or part of them) to me. :) I and a group of my friends (mostly members of H-M) with surface grinders and tool grinders, definitely have uses for them. We could also likely make it worth your while...

I may take you up on that offer Bob i thought i had 23 but i have maybe 15 or 16 ill end up keeping a few for future cases of course but we can talk about it. Mind you they arent all the greatest for a heads up. I can take photos if you would like to see them tonight.

some of the tips are really rounded

That really makes no difference depending on the exact use. For general truing I like the rounded over ones. For precise shaping of surface grinding wheels then the sharp points are the best.

Save a few for yourself and sell the rest; Bob is a good target for sale, or E Bay; I have plenty of them already, and all they are good for is truing grinding wheels.

Back