did 30 seconds cutting steel at standard speed ruin by band saw blade?

You must have far more patience and skill with a Dremel than I do. On my Startrite saw the blade is a little under 8 1/2' long. That translates to 1350+ teeth @14tpi. Even if you did manage to stay conscious and sharpen all the teeth I doubt there would be enough set left in the teeth for them to clear the chips through the kerf. At $26.00 per blade I'll just go over to the Ellis factory about 10 miles away and have them make me a new blade.

Just a heads up, I usually get about 2 years use from one of their bimetal blades if I run it at the right speed.
It's interesting you criticize something you've never done.

I'm not criticizing you or your skills. I'm just saying that given the ordeal that the blade has already been through I would not spend the time and effort needed to attempt to revive it.

It's interesting you criticize something you've never done.

I don't know man , it definitely looks like you would need nearly saintly patients.

but it could be an interesting form of meditation I guess :)

Stu

Edit , he says it took him about 2h at the end.

I don't know man , it definitely looks like you would need nearly saintly patients.

Stu

I leave the blade in the machine , much faster than opening and closing vise. Last blade I did took 45 minutes for 700 teeth. The blade is sharper than a factory blade when done. Also I use +2 magnification.

Stu

Is this a video on how NOT to sharpen a bandsaw blade??? I mean unless overheating the cutting tips in the process is to be desired which is pretty obvious in the video I would look for a better example!

I spent more then enough time sharpening chainsaw blades in my life to know just how unfun and monotonous that task can be but on the flip side i know how expensive and wasteful it is to not maintain a sharp chain not to mention the fact i NEVER had any free time and I Usually Always had more free time then wastable cash so if i wanted to eat Right I had to keep those chains sharp or it would be a mac & cheese kinda night! Anyway I eventually learned to Not "Hate" it so much and found the meditative therapy potential to be quite soothing at the end of a hectic day.

Last edited:
Is this a video on how NOT to sharpen a bandsaw blade??? I mean unless overheating the cutting tips in the process is to be desired which is pretty obvious in the video!

I am no expert on blade sharpening , I was just curious at the time taken to sharpen one.

He is using it to cut wood though so in his case perhaps he can afford a little loss in hardness ?

Interestingly the Wandel just dabs the teeth and doesn't worry about the gullet bit.

Stu

How does your blade "feel" by touch? How does it look? You can use a magnifying glass if needed... If it feels like it has good set and sharp teeth and looks good you should be OK. If it's so dull it can't cut you should be able to tell.

Ted

I am no expert on blade sharpening , I was just curious at the time taken to sharpen one.

He is using it to cut wood though so in his case perhaps he can afford a little loss in hardness ?

Interestingly the Wandel just dabs the teeth and doesn't worry about the gullet bit.

Stu
The blades I sharpen have set , to the left and right. The problem with his jig(in the video) is he doesn't take that into account. I use a small diameter stone that fits in gullet, and don't leave it there long enough to heat up the metal.I tilt the dremel either up or down so I maintain the set.The top of the hook receives one or two strokes from a diamond stone(taking off the burr).
When I did my carbide wood bandsaw blade(800 teeth) I used eze-lap 1/4 by 1/4 by 6 diamond files https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RL84BW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Took an hour but the carbide blade stays sharp for years. That lenox blade has right set, left set and a straight tooth all in a row. clean the blade before starting.

Back