Did I just get SUPER lucky on Ebay?

The only things that looks out of place is I have never seen a follower that is not mounted on the side of the carriage between the cutting tool and the chuck. It is suppose to support the part opposite the tool.
I actually don't know if I have bolt holes over there :) I'd be pretty sure I did if it goes on that side (which it must based on where the knobs are). It made sense to me to be on this side (since it 'follows' the cutter? who knows?), but you could totally be right.

I have never seen a follower that is not mounted on the side of the carriage between the cutting tool and the chuck.

My ~1947 SouthBend 9" only has tapped holes to mount a travelling steady of the tailstock side of the carriage.

-brino

The only things that looks out of place is I have never seen a follower that is not mounted on the side of the carriage between the cutting tool and the chuck. It is suppose to support the part opposite the tool.
Hahaha...Yep

My ~1947 SouthBend 9" only has tapped holes to mount a travelling steady of the tailstock side of the carriage.

-brino

Well that is interesting and a first for me.

Two things

First, here's a picture from the 1936 SouthBend document How to Cut Screw Threads in the Lathe - Bulletin 36A
1624924150342.png
It does show the follow rest on the right side of the carriage, but the tool is moved over across from it.

Second, from Erich's photo above in post 7:
ScreenShot050.jpg

Would this cast support rib (yellow arrow) preclude mounting it on the other side of the carriage?
It's not flat.

.....and is the notch in green a cut-out for working around the follow rest?
or does it have some other function?

-brino

Two things

First, here's a picture from the 1936 SouthBend document How to Cut Screw Threads in the Lathe - Bulletin 36A
View attachment 370581
It does show the follow rest on the right side of the carriage, but the tool is moved over across from it.

View attachment 370583

Would this cast support rib (yellow arrow) preclude mounting it on the other side of the carriage?
It's not flat.

-brino
You're probably right about the rib. Green cutout is the angle measurement for the compound

Two things

View attachment 370581

View attachment 370583

It's not flat.

-brino

Thanks for sharing this. As I said, this is a first for me. I have only seen followers mounted on the left side of the carriage. I have been around machines most of my life, but that by no means means I am an expert and I would never label myself a machinist, even though I have done machining.

The variations and variety of the different machine configurations never ceases to amaze me.

Machines are just like cars or appliances, different manufactures had different ideas of what was most effective and used these to help sell their equipment.
VIVA LA DIFFERENCE

Tuns out my follow rest only bolts on the trailing side! I don't even have bolt holes on the leading side. Interesting/annoying note: The bolt on the back side had a bunch of room behind it, so the bolt turns all the way in, but the front one goes into the side of a rib just enough that it is only tapped about an inch! So not enough to use a shorter bolt without being able to bolt it on!
Just a touch annoying :) Anyway, I still haven't cleaned it up, but I did some measurements with some scrap stock, and it seems to line up perfectly! SO I think I managed to find the stock steady rest!

I think that means I have a full-set of the important accessories. No idea when I'll ever use this, but I used the steady rest I adapted (found a cheap "large lathe steady rest" a year or two ago, and cut the bottom off/bolted a replacement plate on it) quite a few times.

Congratulations on finding a follower rest.
I was able to accomplish the very same feat about 5 years ago. Like your follower, my follower was unidentified and purchased on faith that it would fit my lathe. Turns out that it was the correct follower, although the gray/blue color didn’t match my yellow 1236 lathe.
So I eventually bought another 1236 lathe with the contact color to match the follower.
BTW, My mounting bolts are on the chuck side of the saddle

Back