Did you know this about Bearings?

Excellent posts! Thank you!
I did not see any mention of ceramic bearings. Would you know how they're designated, or a reference for them?
Where did you get the print-outs you used in the second video?
I was told eons ago that the front wheel bearings in my old GMC were a "class 2") by a Timken bearing engineer. Does Timken have a different way of classing bearings?

I did not see any mention of ceramic bearings. Would you know how they're designated, or a reference for them?
I was told eons ago that the front wheel bearings in my old GMC were a "class 2") by a Timken bearing engineer. Does Timken have a different way of classing bearings?

I tried to attach the pdf file, but it says file is too large. If you are viewing the video on You Tube click on "show more" and you will see the link to SKF which contains the file.

The front of the bearing catalogs have a nomenclature chart that explains what everything means. Some items such as the numbers used for the type and size is standard across brands, but the suffixes for things such as the designations for seals, cage type, etc can be different between brands.

Timken inch size tapered bearings have their own class system that is different than ISO used on metric bearings. The Timken bearing catalog has a full description of what those are.

You can download the bearing catalogs from each of the bearing manufacturers, there is some very useful information contained in there, and many have additional papers on various subjects such as lubrication that goes into deep detail.

Barden Bearings does a lot of ceramic bearings and had catalogs online you could download, but it looks like they are now fully integrated with the Schaeffler Group, so things are not as easy to find any longer. www.schaeffler.us. For FAG branded ceramic bearings, a B7208 for example would be steel balls, but an HCB7208 would be ceramic. Different manufacturers could have different nomenclature, so it’s best to consult the bearing manufacturer’s literature to verify since some of the prefixes or suffixes can mean different things with different manufacturers. I had a case where a company I worked for used FAG bearings to build the machines and then switched to SKF, but did not update the bearing specification. SKF sent cylindrical roller bearings with an outer ring guided cage instead of rolling element guided cages since that is what the part number indicated, and I ended up having new bearings overheating at a customer site since it was not getting proper oil flow due to the oil not being able to flow across the outer ring any longer.

Back