Die Filer - have one or insights?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have a Swiss friend who has some wonderful antique weight driven clocks. I began to ponder making one - yeah a big dream to say the least.

Meanwhile I began watching Clickspring on Youtube. He has a Die Filer that looks like this:
filing machine.JPG

I became interested in this little machine. Anyone here that has one? Ot perhaps insights that they can share on availability, tooling, cost, etc.?

Hi Alan,

I looked into this myself a while back. I decided to hold off for now, but there are a few variations available as kits. What Chris (Clickspring) uses is this one:

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-18.html

Hemingway offers this (YouTube videos available too):

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Sawing___Filing_Attachment.html

There is also this kit available - oddly enough, from a supplier down the road from me:

http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-subfiles/MMPtools-sub.html

There's an interesting set of YouTube videos on another DIY variant:

There are also a few used complete units on eBay. Here's one closest to the MLA-18 Chris uses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACHINIST-T...759373?hash=item2cbd04a58d:g:mPwAAOSw03lY5Yqp

Hope this helps.

David

I recently purchased a die filer and it is a great little machine. I can see where they would be fantastic for clockmakers, especially when crossing out wheels or making elegant frames.

I have only used it for one project so far, but it was a worthwhile purchase. I got lucky and got mine with forty some files for $50 from a retired tool and die maker. It is similar to the unit shown above but is powered by a gear motor, which slows it down a little more, which I see as being more appropriate. It also has a larger table, square in shape with a very unique table mounting that allows adjustment in two directions so that it can be completely squared with any file that is mounted, or it can be set to any angle that a person might desire. I do not yet have any photos of it but should get some up here.

The files typically have a round shank about a quarter of an inch in diameter. They are also different in that they cut as the file is pulled downward, and not the other way around like a conventional hand file. From what I understand new files can be difficult to find, but they are out there, one just has to look hard to find them.

One word of caution: When you first use one you will quickly learn to keep your fingers away from the edges of your work. If the file happens to lift your part, a finger near the edge manages to quickly slip under it just a bit, getting a nice pinch (and maybe even a nice blood blister) as the file pulls the part back down to the table. Yup, been there, done that!

David,
Thanks for the great links. I am tempted to buy the casting package from the first link. Combining a die filer with my belt grinder would give me quite a capacity. I am imagining a variable speed setup. Did you get deeply enough into this to decide which way you would go?

Terry,
Quite a find - how bout a photo or two. Are the files in decent shape? You mention the files are hard to come by, have you found a source?

I built one from the casting kit you're interested in Alan. Was a fun build, the castings were top quality, the first thing I ever made from a kit. I don't use it a lot but its handy at times, would be great for clock work.
Greg

I could have used one a few times through the years. But not enough to consider buying or making one. I did have an offer of a a free on a couple months ago and I should have taken it. hind sight still works.

I built one from the casting kit you're interested in Alan. Was a fun build, the castings were top quality, the first thing I ever made from a kit. I don't use it a lot but its handy at times, would be great for clock work.
Greg
Thanks Greg! Now for a few questions:
How much of the package did you buy? The "Whole Monty" with drive pulley and hardware?
What type drive did you use - straight or variable speed?
Did you use a flat belt or other?
Did you build a stand or mount it on a board?
Have you made your own files or did you find them somewhere?

A photo or two would really be appreciated.

I have one, don't use it much but it is great for making square holes.

I make lots of clock parts. A die filing machine for such is invaluable. I would look around for a used one. They can be found and reasonable. After buying castings, time making and all that, IMHO it’s better to buy used factory made. But if you want the joy and pride in making, then go for it. Files for the thing, I think, will be your toughest challenge to procure… Good Luck, Dave.

I make lots of clock parts. A die filing machine for such is invaluable. I would look around for a used one. They can be found and reasonable. After buying castings, time making and all that, IMHO it’s better to buy used factory made. But if you want the joy and pride in making, then go for it. Files for the thing I think will be your toughest challenge to procure…Dave.
Thanks Dave - sage advice I am sure!
My problem is I live in a wasteland relative to availability of used tools. Ebay is not a place I would want to buy something like this and my brief look there in the last couple of days tells me the prices are nuts anyway. I would want to touch it and check it out before buying it. I will certainly look regionally though.

Birmingham Alabama used to be a big metal working town and there may be some there, who knows. I have a clock making buddy locally that I need to tap as well. He may have a source too.

Back